arts iu auditorium

Grammy Award Winning singer/songwriter Ray LaMontagne to perform at the IU Auditorium

Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter Ray LaMontagne will return to the stage with his Just Passing Through acoustic tour on Nov. 4 at the IU Auditorium. LaMontagne last went on tour five years ago.

For the first time in five years, Ray LaMontagne will return to the stage with his Just Passing Through acoustic tour. At 8 p.m. on Nov. 4 ,the Grammy-Award winning singer/songwriter will bring his tour to the IU Auditorium. 

LaMontagne released his first album, “Trouble,” 10 years ago, according to his website.

“It certainly feels like some time has passed,” LaMontagne said on the site. “But I have to say, boy, time flies…”

John Stirratt, Wilco’s bassist, will be joining LaMontagne on the tour. The two will play songs from many of LaMontagne’s albums, including “Supernova,” “Gossip in the Grain” and “Trouble,” according to the IU Auditorium website. 

Five of LaMontagne’s six studio albums have reached Top 10 on Billboard’s Top Rock Albums chart and Billboard’s Digital Albums chart. His 2010 album “God Willin’ & The Creek Don’t Rise” won the Grammy for Best Folk Album and was also nominated in the Song of the Year category for “Beg Steal or Borrow,” according to the IU Auditorium website. 

LaMontagne’s latest album, “Ouroboros,” was released in March 2016 and was produced by My Morning Jacket lead singer Jim James, according to a Rolling Stone article. LaMontagne said James has been a friend for a long time. 

“I think this material was perfect,” LaMontagne said in the article. “It was just perfect for us to do together. Because I had sent him a demo with two parts, all guitars. It was acoustic and electric guitars, all the sonic stuff. I really wanted to bring it into three dimensions, into technicolor, you know.”

According to the IU Auditorium, ticket prices for the show range from $39 to $79, with a discount of $35 for IU students. 

Katie Chrisco