Sessions announces DACA repeal

US_NEWS_SANCTUARYCITIES-SESSIONS_7_MI

Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks at Port of Miami Terminal E, on Wednesday, Aug. 16. Sessions announced the repeal of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy Tuesday morning.  Tribune News Service Buy Photos

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, was being rescinded in a speech Tuesday morning at the Department of Justice. 

In his speech Sessions said the original policy was inconsistent with the Constitution's separation of powers and called the program unilateral amnesty. He repeatedly explained why the program, which has about 800,000 enrollees, was unlawful.

"Societies where the rule of law is treasured are societies that tend to flourish and succeed,” Sessions said, before proceeding to say societies where laws weren't followed closely were prone to corruption.

Sessions said the Department of Justice did not represent any narrow interests, and that Congress should thoroughly review how it might address the issue of immigrants brought here as young children. 

He also said the government would seek to impose limits on the amount of people allow to enter the country, and that the American people wanted immigration policy that served national interests.  

Jesse Naranjo

More