Instant Recap: IU football defeats Virginia for first win of 2017 season

IUvOhio_10.JPG

* FINAL — That’s all in Charlottesville as IU (1-1) picks up its first win of the season with a 34-17 victory over Virginia (1-1). After a slow start for both teams that resulted in a scoreless first quarter, freshman quarterback Peyton Ramsey replaced senior Richard Lagow and gave the Hoosiers a spark.

Ramsey completed his first 11 passes and led three scoring drives in the second quarter to give IU a halftime lead. IU’s defense didn’t allow a touchdown in the first half and surrendered 314 total yards to Virginia for the game. 

In the 4th quarter, IU senior defensive lineman Greg Gooch tackled Virginia quarterback Kurt Benkert and forced a fumble, which was returned by fellow senior lineman Robert McCray III for a would-be touchdown. However, after review, Gooch was called for a targeting penalty on the tackle, which brought the play back and caused Gooch to be automatically ejected. By rule, he’ll be suspended for the first half of IU’s next game against Florida International.

Junior wide receiver J-Shun Harris sealed the game with a 44-yard punt return touchdown midway through the 4th quarter. Ramsey finished his day having completed 16-of-20 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 42 yards and a touchdown. Junior Simmie Cobbs Jr. led the Hoosier receivers for the second game in a row by catching five passes for 62 yards and a score. IU will return home to take on Florida International (1-1) next Saturday.

* 4th quarter (5:56) — J-Shun Harris returns a Virginia punt 44 yards for a touchdown, putting the game seemingly out of the reach of Virginia. IU leads the Cavaliers 34-17 with under six minutes remaining. First special teams touchdown of the season for IU.

* 4th quarter (7:54) — Tom Allen and Mike DeBord opt to go for it on a fourth and goal situation for IU at the UVA three yard line, but Ramsey throws an incomplete pass and Virginia takes over. 27-17 IU leads.

* 4th quarter (12:45) — Benkert completes a seven-yard touchdown pass for a Virginia score. 27-17 is the IU lead.

* 4th quarter — Greg Gooch is ejected from the game for IU after being called for targeting when hitting Virginia quarterback Kurt Benkert. Original play saw Benkert fumble the ball, and Robert McCray return the fumble 85 yards for an IU touchdown, but the targeting call negates the play.

* End of 3rd quarter — IU leads 27-10 after adding a Griffin Oakes field goal and a Donavan Hale receiving touchdown.

* 3rd quarter (0:53) — Peyton Ramsey his third touchdown of the game late in the third quarter, connecting with Donavan Hale on a 32-yard touchdown pass. IU now leads 27-10.

* 3rd quarter (7:32) — Griffin Oakes makes his second field goal of the game, this time from 48 yards out. Oakes is now the leader in field goals made all time for IU, after breaking the previous record with his first-half field goal. His second make extends the IU lead to 20-10.

* 3rd quarter (10:30) — The IU lead is cut in half after an impressive drive by the Virginia Cavaliers. A 12-yard touchdown run by Jordan Ellis makes it 17-10, the Hoosiers still lead.

* Halftime — Griffin Oakes drills a 51-yard field goal as the first half expires. IU has scored 17 straight points to end the first half, all of which came in the second quarter. 17-3 IU leads Virginia.

* 2nd quarter (3:31) — Peyton Ramsey continues to impress at quarterback. A 26-yard touchdown run makes it 14-3 to IU. It looks like Ramsey has replaced Lagow at quarterback.

* 2nd quarter (6:16) IU gets on the scoreboard courtesy of junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. With Peyton Ramsey in at quarterback, Cobbs catches a pass on a crossing route and evades a ton of Virginia defenders for the 29-yard score. 7-3 Hoosiers.

* 2nd quarter (8:08) —  Virginia opens the scoring with a 22-yard field goal. A.J. Mejia converts the kick. 3-0 Cavaliers lead.

* 2nd quarter (14:27) Juan Thornhill of Virginia intercepts IU senior quarterback Richard Lagow. Lagow was attempting to complete a pass to junior wide receiver Luke Timian. 

* End of 1st quarter Very little offensive production from either team so far. IU has 35 net yards while Virginia has 70  net yards. 

After the teams traded punts on each of their first three drives, Virginia moved the ball into IU territory, but failed to convert on a fake field goal attempt. 0-0 the score.

* — This is the second game of the season for both IU and Virginia. IU opened with a 49-21 loss at home to No. 2 Ohio State, while Virginia defeated FCS school William & Mary in Charlottesville, Virginia.