Antonio Allen case may land in federal court

spIUFB_allen.jpg

Antonio Allen and the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office are going to wait until Oct. 3 to see whether the federal government decides to take Allen’s case. 

Allen, a 22-year-old former IU football player who attended Indianapolis' Ben Davis High School, appeared in court Tuesday morning for a pretrial conference for an Aug. 3, 2017, arrest that left him with felony charges for unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon and resisting law enforcement.

His pretrial conference was rescheduled for Oct. 3.

Steven Lazinsky, a public defender from the Marion County Public Defender Agency retained to represent Allen, said he didn't know whether federal officials would take the case. No trial date was set for that reason, he said.

“I have no control over that,” Lazinsky told the Indiana Daily Student. “It’s the federal government. It happens when it happens.”

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department arrested Allen on Aug. 3 for a probation violation, according to the probable cause affidavit, in connection to the felony drug convictions that stemmed from a June 2015 arrest in Monroe County. That 2015 arrest led IU to dismiss him from the team.

IMPD officers located Allen at the Goodwill where he worked on Georgetown Road in Indianapolis. After covering numerous exits in case Allen attempted to flee, the affidavit said, officers found Allen in the store’s warehouse area and cuffed him. 

Officer Tiffany Wren allegedly noticed a bulge on Allen’s right hip through his clothing as officers exited the building with Allen and confirmed it was a gun after feeling the bulge. She shouted to alert two other officers in Allen’s immediate vicinity. 

“Allen immediately attempted to pull away from officer’s grasp upon hearing Officer Wren announce the presence of a firearm,” the affidavit said. “Officer (Scott) Nickels and Wren were able to prevent Allen from attempting to flee by continuing to hold onto Allen’s arms.”

The affidavit estimates Allen, who cooperated initially, struggled for about 30 seconds before officers were able to take him to the ground. At one point, Allen attempted to reach for the gun while still handcuffed, Wren said. It took five officers to safely retrieve the handgun, a .22-caliber Kel-Tec PMR-30, which was loaded with 30 live rounds — one in the chamber.

The affidavit listed three different officers who asked Allen if he was injured or needed medical attention. Allen declined each time. He also refused to give a statement.