Treat Yourself: Save and splurge on a memorable night out

farm.JPG

A night out at an upscale restaurant with a multicourse meal, drinks and the hefty bill to accompany it may not be the norm for most college students  – that's what post-grad goals are for, right? 

This week I’m here to persuade readers that the occasional splurge is worth it and well-deserved. 

Make sure to be reasonable and make decisions that won’t leave you in a bind financially the next day. However, if you have the funds and the opportunity to treat yourself every once in a while, do it.

For food-lovers and those looking to expand their palettes, this is your opportunity to explore menus with choices outside your comfort zone and your cooking abilities at home. Just this past weekend, I went out to FARM, one of my favorite Bloomington spots. 

I know this is a local favorite and for good reason: chef Daniel Orr has seriously great credentials from restaurants all over, including France and New York. The restaurant is committed to sustainability and using local ingredients, making the food amazing.

I savor each outing at FARM because its menu is on the pricier side for a college town, but the quality and flavors have never let me down. The menu changes frequently, and I got to experience a Julia Child-themed specials menu last weekend and enjoyed every bite of a pork terrine, something I rarely see available in the U.S. 

I’m not much of a meat-eater when I cook at home, so when I dine-out I experiment with different kinds of meat. I advise readers to go out of their comfort zones as well at a place they know will deliver a good experience.

I haven’t always been so loose with my money when it comes to food, but it’s an attitude I recently adopted while studying abroad in France. We all know that France is the mecca for cuisine, so naturally I took advantage of it whenever I could. 

In a country where food is highly valued and even the cheapest options are pretty good, spending 30 or 40 euros on a meal could leave you with an unforgettable night. 

I still think about one of my favorite dishes at a traditional French bistro: duck slow-roasted in a Bordeaux sauce, potatoes dauphinois and the perfect complementary glass of red wine recommended by the server. It wasn’t cheap, but it made me go back a few more times over the year and still has me wishing I could hop on a flight to France for another taste. 

What I’m not advising you to do is head over to NOCO or Finch’s Brasserie and order enough salmon or rib-eye to leave you short on rent this month. However, use your splurge fund sometime soon for a culinary experience. 

College students deserve to eat well, too, and Bloomington has plenty of spots willing to expand your palette and leave you motivated to save up for another night out.