IU employee elected to Bloomington City Council

_RegionFiller_SP17.jpg

IU employee Jim Sims, was elected to the Bloomington City Council on Monday evening by the Monroe County Democratic Party. 

Sims has been an IU employee for 30 years, according to Bloom Magazine.

As a member of the city council, he will vote and work towards legislation in the city of Bloomington.

He will fill the open position left by retiring councilman Tim Mayer, after the Democratic Caucus voted Sims in Monday. 

Sims worked for Residential Programs and Services at IU and raised two children in Bloomington with his wife Doris, according to his candidate statement on the Monroe County Democrats website. He has been involved within the community serving on the Utilities Service Board, Second Baptist Church Trustee Board and as president of the Monroe County chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"I believe, and have heard from many supportive folks in our community, that our city and our council is ready for a qualified candidate of color which reflects the progressive, inclusive and social justice leanings of the Monroe County Democratic Party," Sims said in the statement. 

He noted that his priorities include city infrastructure, city budgeting, affordable housing and a living wage. 

“My organizational group work style and practice is that of common-sense consensus building… listening thoroughly, discuss respectfully and speak decisively,” he said in the statement. 

Sims is now the at-large city councilman. He has lived in Bloomington since attending IU in 1975.

The next city council meeting is at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 23 in the council chambers of City Hall. 

Brett Roberts