Hoosiers solidify linebacker rotations as season approaches

spIUFBvsPurdue24.jpg

In the locker room, in the film room and on the practice field, the Hoosier linebacker corps is constantly under scrutiny.

With a deep group at the position and just two spots to be filled on the field in IU's 4-2-5 defensive scheme, it is important for IU linebackers coach William Inge and the rest of the Hoosier coaching staff to know who will be able to handle stress and consistently provide defensive leadership from the linebacker position. 

“You have to own the defense, and you’re under pressure every down,” Inge said. “They think it’s fourth down and one every down.” 

That pressure intensified in recent months as a starting job opened up alongside senior Tegray Scales when Marcus Oliver left early for the NFL Draft and was not selected. Throughout the spring and summer, IU linebackers fought to claim that open spot, with Inge watching closely every step of the way.

With just two weeks until IU’s season opener Aug. 31 against Ohio State, Scales’ fellow senior Chris Covington seems primed to fill the shoes of Oliver, an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten selection last season. Oliver was the Mike linebacker, which entailed calling and leading the defense from his place in the middle of the field. 

Covington, who played quarterback during his freshman year at IU before moving to the defensive side of the ball, stepped up in spring ball to become the odds-on favorite to start with Scales. 

In the last two seasons, Covington solidified his spot on defense. He played in all 13 games while recording 29 tackles and two sacks in 2016. 

On-field talent and production aside, Inge said he loves the intangibles Covington has, like his desire to embrace the expectations and pressure that his position coach heaps upon the linebackers. 

Scales echoed those sentiments and said Covington is a perfect fit to play alongside him. 

“He’s a true Mike, and that’s what we need on our team, somebody that can put a dent into the O-line,” Scales said.

The pair of seniors should be taking the field at linebacker when the vaunted Ohio State offense, led by former IU Coach Kevin Wilson as offensive coordinator, comes to Bloomington. But it is hardly a youth movement at the linebacker position behind Scales and Covington. Inge cited four players, all of whom have spent at least two years in college, as backup options for the senior leaders. 

Scales should not need much backing up, barring injury, but the IU coaching staff has said it would like to give him rest on more downs than last season. Inge pointed to junior Kiante Walton and sophomore Reakwon Jones, who combined to appear in 24 games last season, as players who can step in to provide “reliable” reps behind Scales. 

Juniors Dameon Willis Jr., who had 22 tackles in 12 games in 2016, and Mike McGinnis, who transferred from a junior college in New York this spring, will both be able to give Covington some breaks at Mike during games. Inge noted Willis’ leadership skills and McGinnis’ “ball-hawk” tendencies as their key strengths. 

McGinnis, in particular, received praise from both Inge and Scales, as the latter admired McGinnis’ ability to always be around the ball. Inge said that knack may be rooted more in luck than skill, but he was quick to say McGinnis puts in the work and preparation to be ready when balls come his way. 

“He is a takeaway machine,” Inge said. “That’s kind of one of his strong suits.” 

The veteran Scales should be ready to answer the bell, and Covington’s experience can provide stability in the middle of the field. But if the Hoosiers have to dip into their pool of reserves at linebacker, Inge is confident in his group. Even if it is fourth down and one with the game on the line, Inge said he expects all his players to be ready. It’s what he prepared them for.

“We’re really challenging them and putting their backs against the wall every day,” Inge said. “And they know that’s the standard and that’s the expectation."