Bookstores of all types to be found in Bloomington

Bloomington bookstores offer students the best reads they could imagine.

AudreyBookColumn.jpg

Welcome to chapter two of the book column. If there’s one thing every syllabus week needs, it’s information on buying books. 

Thankfully for IU students, Bloomington is home to many bookstores. We have big chains and small, independent shops. No matter what book-buy you need, it can be found here. 

First up on the list of Bloomington book stores is the Book Corner. It is located at 100 N. Walnut St. This treasure trove of novels and non-fiction books is just a short walk from campus.

The Book Corner stays open until 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 5 p.m. Sunday and 6 p.m. Monday, so it is easy for students to find time to stop by.

It has been in business for over 60 years. A business with history is one that knows its stuff, and this shines through in the Book Corner.  

Another great book shop in town is Caveat Emptor Used Books. It is located very near the Book Corner, at 112 N. Walnut St. So, if you have a free afternoon, spend it at Walnut Street's bookstores. 

Caveat Emptor Used Books is open until 8 p.m. on weekdays, 9 p.m. on Saturdays, and 5 p.m. Sundays. Caveat Emptor Used Books has historic charm and towering bookshelves. Personally, I’m a sucker for a used book. Seeing the underlines and annotations of previous readers gives a book character.

There is an unlimited supply of these pre-owned treasures at Caveat Emptor Used Books. It has also been around Bloomington for many years. Caveat Emptor Used Books opened in 1971. 

Despite being an old standard in town, some of their books are even older than they are. Caveat Emptor Used Books holds many events throughout the year, so stay tuned for more used and rare book news from them.  

A third, and different type of bookstore in Bloomington is the Half Price Books Outlet, located at 3120 W. Susan Drive. It is open until 9 p.m. every day except Sunday, when they close at 7 p.m. It is farther from campus, but don’t let the distance turn you off. The Half Price Books Outlet is a spacious place. The warehouse atmosphere makes it seem as if the shelves go on forever. 

The best part about this book store? The books are all discounted. For students on a budget, the Half Price Books Outlet is a great alternative to bigger bookstore chains; however, it still offers the selection of its competitors.

This store sells more than books too. Its vinyl collection is 50-percent off on Thursdays, and they are always selling other music and videos. 

Students may also be able to find certain textbooks within the shelves of the Half Price Books Outlet. With so many book shops to choose from in Bloomington, book buying can seem daunting, but students shouldn’t shy away and settle for online ordering. 

Nothing can replace the experience of walking through the shelves of books. Whether searching for a new novel, textbook or biography, there is a bookstore in Bloomington for everyone. Some are closer to campus, some might be an adventure away, but all will come through with that perfect read.