For the glory of Old IU: A guide to IU athletic facilities

spassemblyhall

Softball: Andy Mohr Field

1873 N. Fee Lane

iuhoosiers.com/softball

The new softball stadium was approved at the same time Board of Trustees approved the baseball stadium in 2011. The new stadium, named for Andy Mohr of Andy Mohr Automotive, opened for the 2013 season with new locker room facilities, a new scoreboard and a mix of chair and stadium seating.

Football: Mellencamp Pavilion

1800 N. Dunn St.

Named for famed musician and Bloomington local John Mellencamp, the pavilion is the indoor home of the IU football program. It features an artificial-surface field with two grass fields outside for team practice.

Rowing: Dale England Rowing Center

7730 North Lakeview Dr., Unionville

Unconventionally 10 miles away from campus is the home to the rowing team. The team practices and has its boathouse on Lake Lemon, a man-made body of water. In 2015, the team unveiled a brand new boathouse for the team to store tens of boats and equipment.

Track & Field: Robert C. Haugh Complex

1601 N. Fee Lane

The outdoor track is named for E.C. “Billy” Hayes, a longtime track and cross-country coach. The track was resurfaced in 2010. It features nine lanes and more-than-adequate facilities in the center for field events. It’s played host to numerous Big Ten and NCAA events and the Indiana High School Athletic Association’s state meet.

Track & Field: Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse

1101 E. 17th St.

The indoor track and field facility features eight lanes of track and numerous areas for field events including pole vault pits, jumping pits and throwing areas. The track is a Mondo Super-X surface identical to that used in the 1996 Olympics and came to the University via the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. The field house has also been host to numerous high school and collegiate indoor track and field championships.

Little 500, Soccer: Bill Armstrong Stadium

1606 N. Fee Lane

Bill Armstrong Stadium plays host to facilities for the soccer teams, Jerry Yeagley Field and the Little 500 race each year. The field is named for longtime coach Jerry Yeagley, whose son, Todd, now runs the eight-time national champion men’s soccer program. The stadium was opened in 1981 and underwent renovations in 2000, 2001, 2005, and will receive more renovations as part of the “For All” Bicentennial Campaign.

Golf: IU Golf Course

1350 N. SR 45/46

Built in 1957, the IU Golf Course will undergo major renovations by 2020 as part of the “For All” Bicentennial Campaign. The golf course is open to the public, but the University teams have their own center, the Cecil W. Weathers Golf Team Center. Inside are various amenities for the teams and their staffs. It was built in 2009 but got an addition in February 2016.

Field Hockey: IU Field Hockey Complex

1606 N. Fee Lane

IU Field Hockey finally got a home of its own in 2007 after playing its first seven seasons in Mellencamp Pavilion. It was one of the only field hockey teams in the country to play indoors. In addition to the turf field is the Ireland Family Fieldhouse, which was added in 2009 and has team locker rooms and meeting rooms.

Basketball: Cook Hall

1051 E. 17th Street

Major funding for Cook Hall came from “For Glory of Old IU” campaign, the first comprehensive capital campaign launched by the Athletic Department. The facility for the basketball programs was named for $15 million donors Bill and Gayle Cook of the Cook Group based in Bloomington. The hall houses practice facilities for men’s and women’s basketball teams and coaches’ offices.

Swimming and Diving: Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics Center

1601 E. Law Lane

The aquatics center inside the Student Recreational Sports Center was opened in 1996. The facilities are home to the swimming, diving and water polo programs at IU. It includes an Olympic-sized pool and one of the country’s few indoor diving towers, which has both springboards and platforms of varying heights. Lining the walls of the aquatics center are photos of IU swimming and diving legends. The two sports have produced the most Olympic athletes from the University.