sports water polo

Matthews, Williams earn All-American honors

IU women's water polo team faces off against Harvard University in the Collegiate Water Polo Association Championship. IU lost to Harvard.

The Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches announced last week the 2017 Women’s Division I All-American Team. Junior Kelly Matthews and freshman Mollie Williams were selected for the honorable mention list.

This is the third year in a row the Hoosiers have had two athletes earn All-American honors.

Matthews has now earned All-American status for the third time in her career. She’s only the second player in IU history to earn three All-American honors.

Known for her scoring, Matthews continued to make her way through the IU record books as she has led the Hoosiers in goals each year since arriving on campus. The standout junior recorded nine hat tricks this season and rattled off a 21-game scoring streak.

Williams is just the second IU freshman in program history to receive All-American honors after Matthews did it in 2015. She is also the tenth Hoosier ever to make an All-American team.

Joining IU at the semester break, Williams wasted no time making a name for herself in the pool. On the season, she tallied 42 goals, 27 assists and 46 steals. She also had six hat tricks on the year.

Matthews and Williams individual success helped the Hoosiers end the season with an overall record of 21-10. IU ended the season on a three-game winning streak and secured fifth place in the CWPA Championships.