IU honored for LGBTQ resources

IU Bloomington has been chosen as one of the top-50 best colleges for LGBTQ students.

IU was ranked as number 38 by College Choice, an independent online publication, according to an Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs press release.

IU’s LGBTQ+ Culture Center, OVPDEMA and 
student-led LGBTQ+ organizations and discussion groups were cited as reasons for why IU was chosen. College Choice also commended IU’s queer and gender studies programs and LGBTQ+ fraternities and sororities.

“Here at College Choice we sought out those schools that protect their LGBTQ students through policy inclusion, those that offer a number of resources and services for LGBTQ students ­­— from queer-specific health care and counseling to safe spaces and queer centers — and those schools that intentionally promote LGBTQ perspectives in their curriculum,” the publication said in the press release.

IU also made Campus Pride’s Best-of-the-Best list of top-30 LGBTQ-friendly campuses in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016.

“While it’s great to have IU on this list, I’m even more excited that the number of colleges and universities who are paying attention to their LGBTQ+ students is growing,” said Doug Bauder, director of IU Bloomington’s LGBTQ+ Culture Center, in the press release.