Jacobs adds two to ballet faculty

Sarah Wroth, a Jacobs alumna, will become a visiting associate professor of music in ballet.

Jacobs School of Music will add instructors Sarah Wroth and Sasha Janes to its Department of Ballet faculty Aug. 1.

Wroth, a Jacobs alumna, will become a visiting associate professor of music in ballet.

Janes will join as a visiting lecturer in music in ballet following his tenure as a guest artist and teacher last year.

Wroth has previously performed as a corps de ballet member in the Boston Ballet Company. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Ballet Performance with an Outside Field in Education from the Jacobs School of Music.

Wroth began working in ballet company management in 2013 to create a Boston Ballet partnership with Northeastern University 
following teaching for the Boston Ballet Adaptive Dance Program for Children with Downs Syndrome in 2005.

“[Jacobs] ballet majors represent the next generation of inspired, informed dancers who will responsibly ensure that our art form thrives in the future,” Wroth said in an University press release. “I can’t wait to help them love all the incredible work we do.”

Janes has worked with New York City Ballet’s Choreographic Institute as well as served as a guest choreographer for Richmond Ballet’s New Works Festival.

He premiered his most recent ballet, “Saudade”, in fall 2016 for the Jacobs School of Music and premiered a new performance based off of Emily Brontë‘s “Wuthering Heights” for Charlotte Ballet last Spring.

He was named a “choreographer to watch” in 2013 by the Washington Post.

“I look forward to working alongside the ballet luminaries on the faculty and to being part of one of the most respected dance programs in the country,” Janes said in the release.

Both appointments follow the recent addition of dancers Kyra Nichols and Carla Körbes last week.

“With the additions of Sarah Wroth and Sasha Janes to our faculty, we have completed an unprecedented period of growth in our ballet department,” Executive Associate Dean Jeremy Allen said in the release.