The Hoosiers travel south to take on the ACC in Louisville

Sports Filler

The Hoosiers are on the road again this weekend and will be heading slightly south to Louisville, Kentucky, for the Louisville Invitational. This meet will be scored between conferences with the Big Ten Conference teams scored against the Atlantic Coast Conference teams. IU, Purdue and Michigan State will compete against Louisville, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.

As for the competition, IU Coach Ron Helmer said the Hoosiers have seen many of these teams sporadically throughout the season, but they never really know what the competition is going to be like.

“It’s that time of year where many teams will pull their high-level kids out and send them somewhere else or rest them, so you really don’t know what you are going to be competing against,” Helmer said.

Outdoor track season calls for practice on the outdoor track, which Helmer says has been hard with the Indiana weather until recently.

“It really helps that the weather’s been good,” Helmer said. "Everyone’s been in a better mood since the sun’s been out, and it makes them feel good. When it’s cold and dark and dreary, nobody wants to practice, but we’ve had a really good week of practice. We got a lot of good work done.”

The meet will have events on both the track and in the field, which includes the pole vault, where senior Sydney Clute will be competing and looking to reach her goal of clearing 4.60 meters, which Helmer has previously said is very possible.

“It could probably happen anytime now, there’s just a very small margin for error,” Helmer said.

This meet also includes the 1500-meter and 800-meter runs, which will feature junior Katherine Receveur and junior Brenna Calder. The 4x400-meter relay will include sophomore Taylor Williams and junior Kendall Wiles.

As for the field events, senior Nakel McClinton and sophomore Nycia Ford will compete in the hammer throw.

For this meet, just like every meet, Helmer said it’s just another opportunity to race and compete.

“We just want the chance to go in and compete and work and get some things done,” Helmer said. “It looks like the weather in Louisville is going to be great, so we’re looking forward to it.”