Kappa Alpha Theta takes home spring women's title

Despite not winning any spring series events, consistently impressive results earned Kappa Alpha Theta the women’s spring series title for 2017.

After posting a qualifying time of 2:37.368 and earning the second spot in the starting grid for the Little 500, Kappa Alpha Theta started spring series out strong with a pair of top-three finishes in individual time trials.

Senior Grace Bennett and junior Rachel Brown finished second and third in ITTs, respectively, and were edged out by Melanzana rider and senior Brooke Hannon.

Hannon’s time of 2:36.553 barely bested Bennett’s mark of 2:36.737, while Brown finished about a second behind with a 2:37.820.

Bennett and Brown, along with the three other Kappa Alpha Theta riders who finished in the top 30 of ITTs, delivered strong-enough performances to get their team off on the right foot in the spring series.

The Miss N Out title went to senior Kristen Bignal of Delta Gamma, but Bennett and Brown made it to the final heat and again finished in the top three, which earned more valuable spring series points for their team.

In the final event of the spring, team pursuit, Kappa Alpha Theta only needed to make it to the championship heat to clinch the spring title.

They did just that by posting the fastest women’s preliminary time with a mark of 8:37.65.

Although Delta Gamma took down Kappa Alpha Theta by about one second in the final heat of team pursuit, the spring title had already been wrapped up.

When Kappa Alpha Theta lines up wearing the white jersey in the second position to begin the women’s Little 500, confidence will likely be high.

As the spring series winners, Kappa Alpha Theta has proven its mettle. On race day, there is just one more thing the team can accomplish that it has yet to do this year — win.