Four Hoosiers declare for NBA Draft

IUMBB

Junior guards Rob Johnson and James Blackmon Jr., along with sophomore forwards OG Anunoby and Thomas Bryant, declared for the 2017 NBA Draft, IU announced Tuesday.

Johnson, Blackmon and Bryant will not hire agents, which allows them to come back to IU if they choose.

“These four young men all have unique talents and we support them in their decisions,” IU Coach Archie Miller said in a release. “We congratulate O.G. and hope that James, Robert and Thomas can benefit from this and make the best decision that will have a lifelong 
impact.”

Blackmon averaged 17 points per game last season and was named to the All-Big Ten Third Team. He currently ranks 33rd in school history with 1,235 career points.

“My ultimate goal has always been to play professionally, and this is an opportunity I want to take advantage of,” Blackmon said in a release. “This is an important process, and I am excited to take part in it.”

Johnson has made 87 starts for IU and averaged 12.8 points per game last season as a junior.

“I’m excited to go through this process and use this as a learning experience,” Johnson said in a release. “Every player in college has the goal to compete at the highest level, and I’m looking forward to what the future may hold.”

Bryant has started all 69 games that he has played in for IU and averaged 12.6 points per game this past season.

“I’m going to put all my energy in getting the most out of this opportunity and see what the best decision will be for my future,” Bryant said in the release. “I love IU and my teammates, but having the opportunity to play basketball for a living has always been my dream.”

Anunoby is the only one of the four to hire an agent. He suffered a season-ending knee injury at Penn State in January but averaged 11.1 points and 5.4 rebounds per game before getting hurt.

“I have enjoyed my time at Indiana, and after thinking this over with my family, I believe this is the best decision for me personally,” Anunoby said in the release. “I will always be grateful to Coach Crean, his staff and especially my teammates for two of the best years of my life. I wish Coach Miller and the program the best of luck in the 
future.”