sports   |   swimming & diving

Hoosiers compete in Pro Swim series event

webspiusd9

Junior Ali Khalafalla leaps into the pool during the IU Men's Swimming 200 yard medley relay against the University of Louisville. The men's team ended the meet against the Cardinals with a 195-105 victory. Victor Grössling and Victor Grössling and Victor Grossling Buy Photos

The Hoosiers men’s and women’s swim teams concluded competition Saturday at the Arena Pro Swim Series in Indianapolis.

The three-day event saw the Hoosiers qualify five swimmers for A finals, 16 for B finals,23 for C finals and eight for D finals.

Junior Ali Khalafalla highlighted the event for the men’s team. The junior from Cairo, Egypt, finished seventh in the 100-meter freestyle with a 50.03. Khalafalla was faster in the preliminary round, swimming a 49.68.

Also in the 100-meter freestyle, sophomore Mohamed Samy finished second in the C final with a time of 50.27.

Sophomore Joey Snodderly finished third in the D final of the 400-meter freestyle in 4:05.10.

On the women’s side sophomore Laura Morley finished fifth in the B final of the 200-meter breaststroke, while sophomore Christine Jensen was fifth in the B final of the 100-meter butterfly.

Freshman Shelby Koontz also swam well for the Hoosiers, finishing second in the C final of the 50-meter freestyle.

The Hoosiers will be back in action later this month for the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis beginning March 15 for the women and March 22 for the men.

More in Sports