sports softball

Goodin earns second Big Ten honor

Sports Filler

IU softball freshman pitcher Emily Goodin has received the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Week award for the second time this season.

Goodin made three appearances this past weekend for the Hoosiers at the UofM Tournament in Memphis, Tennessee. She pitched a combined 15 and one-third scoreless innings, allowing just two hits.

Goodin went 3-0 at the tournament to lower her ERA to 3.16 and improve her record to 7-4 in 17 appearances.

On two occasions in Memphis, Goodin set a new personal best for strikeouts in a game.

She struck out a career-high eight batters in eight innings during the 1-0 extra-inning win against Western Illinois Friday.

She followed this performance by pitching three hitless innings in relief later Friday against Lipscomb, another extra-inning win for the Hoosiers.

Goodin then broke the record she set Friday against Oakland on Saturday. Coming on in relief for sophomore pitcher Emily Kirk, Goodin tossed four and one-third innings of relief work while striking out 10 batters in a mercy-rule win for IU.

Over the weekend, Goodin struck out 21 batters and walked just five. Opponents are only hitting at a .216 average when facing her.

IU’s last Big Ten honor came when Goodin earned the same award on Feb. 27, after her performance at the Samford/UAB Tournament.

Cameron Drummond