weekend

Oscars 2017: Who will wear what?

Stars like Emma Stone, left, and Viola Davis, will put their best fashion foot forward on the Academy Awards red carpet.

The Oscars red carpet is usually home to classic looks, from the color-blockedfloral number that Halle Berry donned in 2002 to the sky blue gown that Lupita Nyong’o wore in 2014. Rather than crazy couture, film stars tend to go more for elegant ensembles. But that doesn’t mean they won’t have some fun with patterns and a cutout here and there. The Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild awards have given viewers a bit of a preview as to what we’ll see at the biggest night in film, but I have some predictions of my own.

Flower power: 

We’ve been seeing tons of stars donning floral dresses this awards season, from Emma Stone to Emily Blunt to Janelle Monáe, and I think the Academy Awards carpet will be just as flower-filled Sunday. Floral designs never seem to go completely out of style, but they’re especially popular right now. I personally love this trend, and flowers are a sweet and classic addition to any pattern. They’re also usually featured in bright hues, which are perfectly on-trend for spring and add a nice pop of pastel color to balance out the red carpet. Even stars like Kate Hudson and Sophia Bush have been seen with an added bushel of flowers on the waist of their dress, giving the look a natural touch. I would suggest that stars who opt for this time-honored look go with a classic up-do and a bold lip to pull it all together.

Nature inspired:

Besides the floral trend, birds, animals and leafy plants have been making their way onto red carpets, and I’m not complaining. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Rashida Jones stunned in dresses with leaf patterns at the SAG awards, along with Gina Rodriguez, Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman, who showed their love for our flying friends in bird-themed dresses. The actresses' personalities shine through in this type of look, giving them a ‘down to earth’ vibe. Sleek hair and a statement piece of jewelry, like a flashy necklace or large earrings, pair best with this look.

Stars in stripes:

Stripes have been everywhere this winter and have now made their way to the red carpet. It-girls like Michelle Williams and Naomie Harris have been seen rocking this look, and it will definitely have a moment on the Oscars red carpet. Striped dresses can be quite versatile, varying from edgy to classic, depending on the colors and style of the outfit. I think minimal makeup and jewelry work best for this look so the stand-out pattern can be front and center.

Punchy patterns: 

Just go for it, guys. The Oscars uniform is a boring black tuxedo every year for most men, and it's fun to see them switch things up any way they can. I’m hoping to see some patterned suits, or even alternative materials like velvet. If Rami Malek can take fashion risks and go for fun versions of the usual tuxedo, so can the rest of Hollywood.

Mixed bag: 

A few more distinctive trends I'm hoping to see are short dresses, department store dresses and ones that utilize unique materials. Stars rarely wear shorter dresses to this black tie event, but I'm keeping hope alive. Actresses like Ellie Kemper and Taraji P. Henson have been seen wearing velvet and mesh, so I would love to see some film stars doing the same and experimenting on the Oscars red carpet, just to mix up the usual classic looks. It’s a long shot, but I'd also like to see some dresses that viewers can get for themselves. Bryce Dallas Howard turned heads in a gorgeous $300 dress from Nordstrom at the SAG awards, so I’d love to see another actor or actress try their hand in department store couture.

The Oscars red carpet is always an elegant, eye-catching event. Although it's impossible to predict all of the trends beforehand, one thing is certain: the precursor to the awards is at least half of the fun.