Reading group discusses connection between novel, current events

Region Filler

A gathering of women shared gingersnaps and conversation about how their community reading group’s chosen novel tied more into current events than they had expected.

When Dory Lynch, community engagement librarian at the Monroe County Public Library, entered the room, the group set down their mugs of coffee and tea and began to analyze the book more closely.

The discussion, which took place Sunday at MCPL, focused on the book “Another Brooklyn” by African-American author Jacqueline Woodson in honor of Black History Month.

Attendee Amal Altoma, who brings a homemade cake to every meeting, said the book’s unusual structure is what stands out to her most. The book involves the nonlinear narratives of four young girls weaved together into one novel, she said.

“Moving from one time and one story to another can be very confusing for the reader if the writer is not good,” she said. “But, it flows very well, and I think that is a sign of a good author.”

Attendee Lynn Greenfield said this nonlinear style initially made her dislike the book, but she eventually began to appreciate the writing style.

Altoma said the book was also distinct in its treatment of the female friendships among the four girls it features.

“It’s the idea of keeping the past as you move onto the future,” she said. “You do that by keeping friendships you’ve had all your life like the friendships in the book.”

Greenfield, however, said it is the ephemeral nature of certain friendships that is really captured in the books.

“It was an interesting look at friendship,” she said. “You begin to think it’s going to last forever, but it doesn’t, but that’s life sometimes.”

Beyond the friendship, Altoma said it is the book’s treatment of diversity that is most intriguing. The book involves Muslim characters that Altoma said were in no way demonized like they may be in other books.

“This is one of the few books that I’ve read that did not attack Islam as something scary, which is so important to understand that Islam is not this terribly scary thing,” she said.

Lynch, the librarian, said this accepting treatment of Islam is especially important now.

Recent events, including President Trump’s executive order banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries, makes it even more important to be telling the stories and celebrating the work of minorities, she said.

“Our country is being torn apart by religious, national and cultural divisions,” she said. “It’s important to accept that we’re a pluralistic society and that we need to embrace and celebrate that.”

Lynch said by reading stories and racial and religious minorities, people will be able to understand one another and see similarities rather than differences.

“These stories don’t just apply to someone of a certain race or culture or ethnicity,” she said. “When you read them, you can really see the similarities in a lot of our struggles and lives that can really help us understand one another.”