weekend

Pasternack on the Past: 'Northwest' continues to inspire the spy genre

North by Northwest

“North by Northwest” is one of Alfred Hitchcock’s most entertaining films from one of his best decades as a director. It manages to prefigure both the “James Bond” and “Jason Bourne” franchises. In addition, it remains surprisingly relevant to today’s political climate.

This movie is about an advertising executive named Roger Thornhill. He is mistaken for a spy named George Kaplan and is nearly murdered by a mysterious group of hostile secret agents. Thornhill tries to get to the bottom of the matter, but things aren’t what they appear to be.

In my opinion the 1950s were Alfred Hitchcock’s best decade as a director. It was when he made “Vertigo,” which is considered by some to be the greatest film of all time, according to recent BBC and IndieWire critic polls. He directed more obscure, idiosyncratic films like “I Confess” and “The Wrong Man” and even made an underrated comedy called “The Trouble with Harry.”

Hitchcock ended the 1950s on a high note with “North by Northwest.” The witty dialogue and constant twists make this movie fun to watch. It was a box office hit that would influence two of the most popular spy franchises in movie history.

The similarities between “North by Northwest” and the “James Bond” series are numerous. They both have glamorous settings and deal with espionage. Internet Movie Database notes both Hitchcock’s film and the “James Bond” series have an “elegant, daring, wisecracking leading man opposite a sinister yet strangely charming villain.”

“North by Northwest” would also exert an influence on the Bourne films. Both protagonists frequently have to improvise in order to survive. They both have to deal with conspiracies in the intelligence community that they don’t understand. A scene where Thornhill dons sunglasses to escape is reminiscent of numerous scenes of practical ingenuity in “The Bourne Identity.”

Cary Grant is excellent as Thornhill. Eva Marie Saint is witty and endearing as Eve Kendall. James Mason is a delightfully low-key theatrical villain as Phillip Vandamm.

The cinematography in this movie is excellent. It makes set pieces involving a crop duster and Mount Rushmore iconic and exciting. I particularly enjoy the shots depicting the Hudson River valley at magic hour during a train ride.

“North by Northwest” remains relevant not just in its influence on today’s espionage films. It depicts a practice that is sadly pertinent to today’s society called gaslighting.

Journalist Lauren Duca said “to ‘gaslight’ is to psychologically manipulate a person to the point where they question their own sanity.” The villains in “North by Northwest” do this to Thornhill after they try to murder him in order to avoid prosecution. Duca and other journalists have compared President Trump’s political strategies to the practice of gaslighting.

“North by Northwest” is more than an influence on some of the world’s most successful spy film franchises. It is also one of the most entertaining and relevant films that Hitchcock made. It remains a delightful experience that more people should seek out.