weekend

Beautiful Disaster: The 2017 Oscars crown the right Best Picture under the wrong circumstances

89th Academy Awards

Are you still reeling from the last few minutes of Sunday’s Oscars? You’re not alone. After presenter Warren Beatty announced “La La Land” as the Best Picture winner only to crown “Moonlight” about a minute later, the legacy of the 89th Academy Awards show was cemented.

After that gaffe and the hurried exit of the “La La Land” team, the production team and cast of “Moonlight” celebrated. Although his Best Picture win didn’t come under ideal circumstances, 
director Barry Jenkins had his chance to make an eloquent speech earlier that night for Best Adapted Screenplay.

“You know, I told my students that I teach sometimes ‘be in love with the process, not the result,’ but I really wanted this result because a bajillion people were watching,” “Moonlight” director Barry Jenkins said. “And for all you people out there who feel there is no mirror for you, that you feel your life is not reflected, the Academy has your back ... and for the next four years we will not leave you alone, we will not forget you.”

“Moonlight” took the first award of the night when actor Mahershala Ali won the Oscar for Actor in a Supporting Role and thanked his teachers, managers and wife. Ali is the first Muslim actor to win an Academy Award.

Asghar Farhadi, who directed “The Salesman,” won a second Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and, instead of accepting the award traditionally, made a strong political statement. The Iranian director, who had been barred from the United States when President Trump’s Muslim ban went into effect, 
boycotted the show entirely.

“My absence is out of respect for the people of my country and those of other six nations whom have been disrespected by the inhumane law that bans entry of immigrants to the U.S.,” Farhadi’s statement read. “Dividing the world into the ‘us’ and ‘our enemies’ categories creates fear, a deceitful justification for aggression and war.”

“La La Land,” nominated for 14 Oscars, left with only six wins. Emma Stone took home a statue for Actress in a Leading Role, and the film also won Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Song for “City of Stars,” Best Cinematography and Best Production Design.

Viola Davis took home the gold for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for “Fences,” and her impassioned speech was one for the ages. Her victory came after two previous losses, for “Doubt” and “The Help.”

Unsurprisingly, Casey Affleck’s performance in “Manchester by the Sea” outweighed the accusations of sexual assault that came out last year against him. He won the Oscar for Actor in a 
Leading Role.

“Suicide Squad” eked out an Oscar win for Makeup and Hairstyling. The poorly-reviewed DC film now has more Oscars than “Rear Window,” “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “Psycho” and “The Shawshank 
Redemption.”

Sound Mixing nominee and famously long-time loser Kevin O’Connell won his first Oscar last night after 21 nominations. The “Hacksaw Ridge” mixer thanked his deceased mother in his award speech, who he said had encouraged him to aspire toward an 
Academy Award.

Despite the Best Picture snafu, the 2017 Academy Awards were surprising and satisfactory. Overwhelming love for “La La Land” did not prevail, despite its original 14 nominations, and the Academy instead spread the love between a variety of deserving films.