weekend

Oscars 2017: Breakout Stars

Trevante Rhodes, Ruth Negga, Sunny Pawar and Glen Powell are just a few of the breakout stars of this year's Oscars.

Sunny Pawar - The eight-year-old star of “Lion” held his own opposite Nicole Kidman, a feat that actors three or four times his age would find difficult. As young Saroo, Pawar anchored the entire first half of the Best Picture nominee as his character is lost in India, then adopted by an Australian couple. His performance paved the way for Dev Patel to win audiences over as Saroo attempts to rediscover home as an adult. In 2017, Pawar will appear in “Love Sonia,” a film about a young girl’s experience in international sex trafficking.

Trevante Rhodes - As the third and final incarnation of Chiron in Barry Jenkins’ “Moonlight,” Rhodes married the vulnerability and restlessness of his child and adolescent self with a more hardened exterior. Although Rhodes’ previous credits include television roles on “If Loving You Is Wrong” and “Westworld,” he’s won a small part in “Song to Song,” starring Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara, Natalie Portman and Michael Fassbender as Texas musicians and has been tapped for 2018’s “Predator” sequel.

Lucas Hedges - Although he technically got his acting start with a bit part in his father’s 2007 movie “Dan in Real Life,” Hedges catapulted into the public eye after his role in “Manchester by the Sea” earned him a Best Supporting Actor nomination. Next, the 20-year-old will appear in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” currently in post-production.

Janelle Monáe - Until this year, she’s been more likely to appear in the soundtrack credits for a movie than in the cast. However, after acting in both “Hidden Figures” and “Moonlight,” Monáe has proven she can choose excellent projects and meet the bar set by her powerhouse co-stars. Although she wasn’t nominated for either movie this year, it’s only a matter of time for the singer and model-turned-actress.

Glen Powell - Powell has had a slew of minor roles in titles from “Everybody Wants Some!!” to “Scream Queens,” but his role as a surprisingly progressive astronaut in “Hidden Figures” made him a star. The only thing on his docket in 2017 is “Sand Castle,” a military movie set during the Iraq occupation. Somehow, we think Powell will hold his own next to his co-stars-slash-superheroes, Henry Cavill and Nicholas Hoult.

Ruth Negga - Negga’s work overseas is less well-known than it should be to American audiences. Pre-”Loving,” she transitioned easily to U.S. television and cinema with roles in Marvel’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and AMC’s “Preacher,” as well as “World War Z” and “Warcraft: The Beginning.” Negga’s powerful performances transcend genre, and we can’t wait to see what she does next.