sports baseball

IU defeats Gonzaga in second straight matchup

Sports Filler

A host of freshmen contributors led IU baseball in Sunday afternoon’s 5-1 victory over Gonzaga, which marked the Hoosiers' second win over the Bulldogs this weekend. 

Freshman pitcher Andrew Saalfrank put in a strong performance in his first college start and gave up one run on four hits with three strikeouts in four innings.

Saalfrank was caught by fellow freshman Jake Matheny, who was given the starting nod over sophomore catcher Ryan Fineman. Matheny followed up his two home run college debut with one Sunday hit, an RBI double in the fifth inning. 

Earlier in the game, Matheny displayed his defensive prowess from behind the plate by gunning down two Gonzaga base runners attempting to steal second base to end the first and second innings, respectively.

After being held hitless in his first two college games, freshman shortstop Jeremy Houston delivered two RBI hits for the Hoosiers.

IU was able to push across two runs in the first inning to take an early lead. Gonzaga’s starting pitcher, sophomore Daniel Bies, struggled to find the zone in the opening frame and walked four Hoosiers, allowing junior Laren Eustace to score with two outs.

Senior first baseman Tony Butler capitalized on the two-out walk and came through with an RBI single that plated third baseman Matt Lloyd. Junior outfielder Logan Sowers was thrown out at home while attempting to score from second base.

Junior Kade Kryzsko entered the game in relief of Saalfrank in the fifth inning and pitched a quality 1.2 innings. Kryzsko picked up the win and struck out three batters.

The back of the Hoosier bullpen got a lot of work in the ballgame, as three pitchers saw action to combine for the final six outs. Junior lefty B.J. Sabol gave up one hit and struck out three Bulldogs in 2.1 innings of work, his first appearance of 2017.

Senior Luke Stephenson also made his 2017 debut and retired two of the three batters he faced after coming in for the ninth inning. Sophomore Pauly Milto was called upon to record the final out to cement the Hoosiers’ second win of the season.

IU, now 2-1, takes on No. 7 Oregon State 1 p.m. tomorrow for the second time this year. The Beavers came out on top 1-0 in Friday’s meeting between the teams.

Spencer Davis