IU completes offensive coaching staff with hiring of offensive line coach

Sports Filler

Houston offensive line coach and run game coordinator Darren Hiller has left to take the same position at IU, a source confirmed Monday.

Hiller had accepted the Houston job Jan. 6 before coming to Bloomington to fill the void former IU offensive line coach Greg Frey left in late-January. With the hire, IU’s offensive coaching staff is now complete.

Hiller has coached since 1995. In that time he spent 10 seasons at Arkansas State — the last of which was spent while IU Coach Tom Allen served as defensive coordinator.

At Arkansas State, Hiller coached 16 All-Conference players, including six players who went on to play in the NFL. He and Allen led the Red Wolves to a highlight season in 2011, when Arkansas State finished the regular season with a 10-2 record and the second bowl game in program history.

In 2016, Hiller coached the South Florida offensive line to a 14th national ranking by allowing just 15 sacks in 13 games, and the Bulls’ offense ranked fourth nationally in offense — fifth nationally in rushing yards per game and 11th nationally in total offense.

IU ranked 92nd nationally in rushing yards per game, 56th in total offense and 82nd in sacks allowed in 2016.

Hiller also assisted Cincinnati in breaking 18 offensive school records in 2015, and his offensive line ranked third in the nation in tackles for loss allowed per game in 2014.

Hiller has been on the coaching staff of a bowl team in five of the last seven seasons.

Taylor Lehman