Indiana Republican Party elects new chairman

Region Filler

The Indiana Republican Party unanimously elected Kyle Hupfer on Wednesday as its new chairman.

Hupfer is the chief administrative officer and general counsel for Indiana Mills and Manufacturing Inc. He was recently the co-chair of the Holcomb-Crouch Transition Board. He has also served as treasurer for Gov. Eric Holcomb’s campaign and as director of the Indiana Department of Natural 
Resources.

“We’re very excited about his appointment, and he is definitely someone who will work on the nuts and bolts of the state county by county,” Monroe County Republican Party Chair William Ellis said. “I’m excited to work with him in Monroe County because there’s a lot of work we can do that we can’t do alone. We need the state help.”

Hupfer has announced his senior staff and said in a press release he plans to work to develop a more comprehensive plan for the party’s candidates and better internal 
communication.

His senior staff is Matt Huckleby, recently the political director for Holcomb’s campaign for governor; Pete Seat, who served as the communications director for Holcomb’s campaign; and Mindy Colbert, who was deputy finance director for the governor’s campaign and ran her own political finance consulting firm.

“I don’t know Chairman Hupfer personally, but I wish him the best of luck,” Monroe County Democratic Party Chair Mark Fraley said. “I hope he does what he can for the state of Indiana.”

Holcomb, House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, and Senate President Pro Tempore David Long, R-Fort Wayne, all expressed their support of Hupfer in a press release Wednesday.

Hupfer is currently Republican chairman of the 5th Congressional District in Indiana, a position in which he will remain until early March.