politics

ICYMI: Trump met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

US NEWS USCANADA 2 ABA

President Trump and his daughter, Ivanka Trump, met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the Senate confirmed Steve Mnuchin as treasury secretary, and national security adviser Michael Flynn got into hot water with Vice President Mike Pence yesterday. Here is a rundown of what happened and why it matters.

Trump works to strengthen relationship with Canada

Trudeau visited the White House yesterday to meet with Trump, Ivanka Trump and other politicians.

Trump and Trudeau spoke in a joint press conference Monday. Though the two leaders have differing opinions on refugees, Trump nevertheless defended the travel ban.

The United States “cannot let the wrong people in,” Trump said. He added that the executive order, now stalled in court, is “common sense.” Casting the net too wide is better than letting the wrong people into the country, he said.

“I’m just doing what I do,” Trump said.

Trudeau made it clear that although he did not agree with Trump’s approach, but he said he did not come to the U.S. to lecture the president on his policies.

“There have been times where we have differed in our approaches and that has always been done firmly and respectfully,” Trudeau said. “The last thing Canadians expect is for me to come down and lecture another country on how they choose to govern themselves.”

Both Trump and Trudeau expressed their desire to continue to strengthen the relationship between their countries.

In reference to Trump's promise to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, he said he and Trudeau would be “tweaking” their trade relationship. However, Trump emphasized the U.S.’s problems with the free trade deal were centered around Mexico.

“It’s a much less severe situation than what’s taking place on the southern border,” Trump said, after he called the U.S.-Canada trading relationship “very outstanding.”

Ivanka Trump sponsors White House women’s business initiative with Justin Trudeau

Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump and Trudeau sat together in the Cabinet Room in the White House surrounded by female CEOs, business leaders and entrepreneurs in a meeting regarding women in the workplace Monday.

Donald Trump promised to launch the United States Canada Council for the Advancement of Women of Business Leaders-Female Entrepreneurs, which intends to discuss, plan and implement support for women at work.

CNN reported the initiative’s goals include growing women-owned businesses, retaining women in the business world, supporting women who work while have families and helping female entrepreneurs have better access to capital in order to support growing businesses. 

Trudeau appears to be a natural partner for the initiative because he pledged to make 50 percent of his cabinet female during his campaign. Also, Ivanka Trump is set to release her second book, “Women Who Work: Rewriting the Rules for Success,” in May.

Amazon's description of the book says it will showcase what she has learned from other important business women, according to Amazon. The book’s net proceeds, including the advance, are set to go to charity.

Steven Mnuchin confirmed as treasury secretary

The Washington Post reported the Senate confirmed Mnuchin in a 53-47 vpte Monday night and added another ex-banker to Trump’s advisers. During the confirmation, Democrats raised concerns about Mnuchin’s involvement in foreclosures during the financial crisis while head of the bank OneWest, according to the Washington Post. 

Michael Flynn’s position to be evaluated

Trump is “evaluating the situation” after national security adviser Michael Flynn allegedly misled Vice President Mike Pence, according to MSNBC.

The issue comes from whether Flynn discussed sanctions against Russia with the Russian ambassador before Trump took office and then misled Pence about it. It created a turbulent 72 hours for the White House and is leading to questions about Flynn’s future after only three weeks, according to CNN.

“The President is evaluating the situation,” White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said in a written statement. “He’s speaking to the vice president relative to the conversation the vice president had with Gen. Flynn, and also speaking to various other people about what he considers the single most important subject there is: our national security.”