COLUMN: Italian street artists practice at high level

Arts Filler

When I was younger I used to always wonder if we look at an object and all see the same thing. I would ask myself, “If we’re looking at an apple, do we see the same curves and shades of vibrant red?”

I’ve come to find in Florence that while we may see the same general image, it’s perspective that can be extremely different from person to person.

When one is strolling through any large city, they will see street art depicting monuments. In New York City, you’re sure to find the Statue of Liberty on a canvas. In Florence there are two main images — the Ponto Vecchio Bridge and the Florence Cathedral — any visitor will find on post cards and easels.

I saw numerous watercolor and oil paintings of these well-known spots by street artists along the side of the Museo Galileo, one of Florence’s most famous art museums. I had seen these monuments in person several times before, but somehow no two images of the same bridge or cathedral looked the same.

I found myself especially amazed by this fact when I came upon an artist with at least 20 different paintings of the Ponto Vecchio Bridge, none of which looked 
identical to another.

One captured a dark and rainy day in Florence with a black and white ink drawing of the bridge, a spot of orange in the right hand corner showing the Florence Cathedral and how its beauty is apparent even on the dullest of days.

Another painting showed the same Florence Cathedral, but not in its entirety. Instead, it showed the Duomo’s round top peaking out at the end of a long and winding street. It took me back to the view that takes my breath away each time I turn a corner and 
happen to see the cathedral.

And beyond showing different perspectives of Florence, the artist played with wild colors to emphasizes its nearly magical beauty, which can make you feel far away from reality.

He used shockingly bright blues and greens with neon yellow and highlighter orange in a way that somehow made sense.

While the Ponto Vecchio Bridge is naturally shades of cream, red and brown, the use of unoriginal colors brought a new look to a bridge far older than me and connected a historical past of Florence to the modern day city.

It is interesting how the street artists all seem to work on their own creations outside of a famous art museum, perhaps working near the greats to become the greats.

Yet as I wandered around glancing at the street art, I began to wonder what even constitutes when a piece of art is a masterpiece.

Many might think paintings of big monuments in touristy cities are tacky, but to me it’s a way to grasp the city’s greatness from the people who know it best and have looked at it from every angle.

Best of all, unlike the 15 minutes you’re allowed in front of a roped-off painting, the canvas that offers an expert’s perspective on the city can be taken home with you forever.