Union Board directors discuss opening tavern

The Union Board had a meeting Thursday evening in the IMU where they discussed plans for 2017 and potential improvements for the IMU.  

The idea of a tavern in the Indiana Memorial Union was discussed Thursday evening by Union Board directors in the Indiana Memorial Union Oak Room.

It was pitched by alumni representative Cathryn Deal while discussing possible improvements to the IMU.

“I used to work at State University New York, and they have a tavern,” she said. “Purdue is getting one — why not try to add one here?”

Before there was too much excitement about the idea, IMU Director Hank Walter said it would have to go through several levels of administration and budgeting checks before getting approved. Union Board cannot make the decision alone.

The meeting began in the Distinguished Alumni Room where, the week before, directors had discussed IMU hotel renovations, a community service project and their retreat over break. This week’s discussion focused on the board’s goals for spring 2017 and improving the IMU.

During the regular meeting session directors discussed their plans and how even though they could be more of a challenge than expected, were still within reach.

Making improvements for students, increasing assistant director and community engagement and increasing the number of full board volunteer days were just some of the measures passed during the meeting.

Although the measures were passed, details on how to proceed with each of them were postponed for another meeting. The board instead chose to focus the meeting on renovations for the IMU. The meeting lasted 40 minutes before being adjourned.

“This concludes what might be one of the shortest meetings in history,” Union Board President Josh Thomas said. “Let’s all go next door for the presentation.”

Walter began a presentation of the planned improvements to the IMU with discussion on the feedback he was looking for to make meaningful improvements to the IMU. The presentation covered all of the planned improvements to the IMU focusing on adding and updating furniture and seating in the lounges. Before leaving for the night, directors took a tour of the hotel and the recent renovations.

“We want everyone who stays here to know even thoughthere are other hotels in the area who may have pictures of campus we are the Indiana University Hotel,” Walter said.

The renovations include everything from new carpets to completely remodeling the bathrooms. Rooms now have more IU paraphernalia and updated lighting and appliances. So far only the fifth and first floors are undergoing renovation. However, all the other floors will soon follow.

For more information on Union Board contact it on its website unionboard.org or attend its meetings at 6 p.m. Thursdays in the Distinguished Alumni Room.