Donald Trump sworn in as 45th president

inaug

WASHINGTON D.C. — President Trump was sworn in at noon. The rain started back up at 12:01.

That did not seem to bother any of the thousands of people witnessing Trump becoming the 45th president of the United States on Friday. He was, after all, there to say the power of democracy was in their hands.

“We are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another, but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C., and giving it back to you, the American people,” he said.

Like he had throughout his campaign, Trump spoke about an “American carnage” of extreme poverty, poor infrastructure, depleting military force, corrupt educational system and a dangerous crime culture. He continued to blame these problems on an inconsiderate federal government and promised to make America great again.

“I will fight for you with every breath in my body, and I will never ever let you down,” he said.

[President Trump supporters anticipate new era | IDS]

He described a nation depending solely on American workers, infrastructure revitalization and a stronger military focused on domestic defense.

“This is how you win,” a person in the crowd said.

Thousands of people gathered from the Capitol building down the National Mall to witness the historic event. Many supporters and spectators arrived in the wee hours of Friday morning.

Former Democratic nominee for president and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was present at the inauguration not completely hiding her discomfort watching her vanquisher. She was accompanying her husband, former President Bill Clinton. Presidents Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush and Barack Obama were also present with their respective wives.

Trump took no stops to throw indirect punches at his predecessors. He suggested they did not care about Americans and do not act on their words.

“He isn’t a politician,” someone in the crowd said.

“He’s a true statesman,” a stranger responded.

Trump cited the Bible to say that good happens with unity and concluded by saying his promise to bring power back to the citizenry can only be achieved with cooperation. 

“When America is united, America is totally unstoppable," Trump said.

For more news from the inauguration follow Indiana Daily Student reporters Emily Ernsberger, Melanie Metzman, Matthew Rasnic, Lydia Gerike and Evan De Stephano on Twitter and @idsnews on Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.