COLUMN: Anti-abortion women excluded from marches

Progressives blew it not letting anti-abortion women join the Women’s March on Washington.

After pushback for partnering with a anti-abortion women’s organization, the march’s organizers released a statement rejecting the group and referring to the placement of the pro-life group in the first place as “an error.”

I don’t understand why anyone would limit their coalition based on one small part of the larger issue of women’s rights.

The need on the left for extreme ideological and political purity extends far beyond the Women’s March in Washington.

If you ever need proof, try voicing a single conservative opinion in a humanities class.

See how it goes over with some of your more vocal classmates. See how it goes over with your 
professor.

Rhetoric of diversity and inclusion rings hollow when those who ask to join a cause are rejected purely on unrelated political grounds.

There is a lot of theory behind justifying the decision to exclude pro-life women on the grounds of diversity and inclusion, but it fails the common sense test and it is bad politics.

The Women’s March last Saturday was an impressive protest.

But the protests took place in large cities and focused in either safe or left-leaning states where Democrats are already competitive.

Hillary Clinton didn’t lose because she lost the big cities.

She lost because her coalition was not strong in the rural states where pro-life support is more common.

To win, Democrats need pro-life women who are more likely to live in rural states.

These areas voted for President Trump, and if Democrats are serious about defending the senators who represent states where Trump won in 2016, they need to reach out to these voters.

If you have women you need to win who are willing to march with you, it seems ridiculous not to take them.

By purposefully alienating pro-life women you send a powerful cultural signal their concerns don’t matter, and their votes don’t matter.

Beyond that, it sends a message to any other voter with moderate or conservative views who might not support Trump that they are not welcome on the Left.

They’re setting up for failure.

Of course, coalition building happens on more than one side of the aisle.

Lost in the news cycle this week was President Trump’s first ever meeting with several prominent union leaders at the White House.

These leaders represent some of the most organized and powerful political forces in the country and typically they bleed Democrat blue.

The union leaders’ spokesperson, representing several different groups, praised President Trump for his courtesy and respect.

He pledged to work with Trump on trade, infrastructure and protecting American workers.

In the ultimate twist, Trump is stealing an important chunk of the democratic base while progressives failed to enlist the support of a potential ally.

So much for a diverse and inclusive Left.