Ivy Tech Waldron will welcome Indy performance group

Arts Filler

The Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center will open its theater space for a concert that plays on a classical genre.

Alchymy Viols and Bloomington Early Music will present “Cavalli’s Masque” at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 14 in the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center Auditorium, according to a news release.

Alchymy Viols is a musical group composed of Joanna Blendulf, Julie Elhard, Wendy Gillespie, Erica Rubis, Philip Spray and Craig Trompeter. The Indianapolis-based group will perform the concert which reflects 17th-century masque entertainment.

Masque entertainment was a festive form of court entertainment, performed during the 16th and 17th centuries for nobles or royalty. Traditional masque shows involved dancing, singing and acting. This category of performance flourished in Europe, particularly Italy.

The free show, written by Phil Spray and Catherine Turocy, follows the struggles associated with love. Rebecca Choate Beasley will be singing soprano, Nathan Medley will sing countertenor, and Lindsey Adams will sing the part of the mezzo-soprano, according to the release.

Music and instrumentation in the show will pull from Francesco Cavalli, Cima, Benedetto Ferrari, Monteverdi and G. Strozzi. The show will incorporate a variety of instruments, dance, costume and drama and be directed by Turocy, the director of the New York Baroque Dance Company.

Bloomington Early Music, a nonprofit organization dedicated to presenting historically informed performance art pieces in Bloomington and south central Indiana, is supporting the show.

The concert is sponsored by Allen Whitehill Clowes Charitable Foundation and the Christel DeHaan Family Foundation.