IU snaps three game losing streak against Illinois

IUMBB

This time IU punched first.

In IU’s last game – a loss to Wisconsin – the Hoosiers were on the wrong end of a 13-0 run by the Badgers to open the game.

Against Illinois on Saturday, IU landed a haymaker in the first few minutes of the game. IU started the game on a 15-0 run, which propelled IU to a 96-80 victory in Simon Skojdt Assembly Hall.

“We’re happy about our effort and how we came out from the beginning,” junior guard James Blackmon Jr. said. “That’s one thing we have to keep working on. We just have to maintain and build on this game.”

That early run was aided by the return of IU’s offense, which had slid back during the recent three-game losing streak.

IU regained its early season form, and the Hoosiers’ shooting woes vanished. IU shot 59 percent from the field and a sizzling 52 percent from 3-point range.

It was a stark improvement for the Hoosiers because, during their recent three-game losing streak, they shot 32.8 percent from 3-point range.

Bl

ackmon and junior guard Robert Johnson had been struggling recently from deep, but against Illinois those two returned to form. Blackmon had a team-high 25 points and Johnson had 18 points on seven of 11 shooting.

Sophomore center Thomas Bryant said when the guards hit their shots more opportunities are opened up down low for him and sophomore forward OG 
Anunoby.

“It gives us a big boost out there on the court because when those guys are hitting it opens a lot more stuff up for me, OG, the guys that come off the bench,” Bryant said. “They have to put so much time and effort onto those two, it opens up the floor that much for all of us.”

IU’s shooting improved so drastically Saturday because of better ball movement.

In the past two games, IU’s offense had become stagnant and lacked the motion that was the hallmark of the offense early on this season.

“The game was giving us cutting and movement, and that’s where we’re best anyway,” IU Coach Tom Crean said. “Once we got the ball in the middle, it’s really a matter of reversal. It’s a matter of it touching the paint, whether it’s the post-up or against the zone, especially from the free-throw line.”

Crean said they had been 
emphasizing on not dribbling too much against Illinois.

Against Louisville and Wisconsin, IU had a combined 17 assists. The Hoosiers reached that number of assists with more than 12 minutes to play Saturday. For the game, IU had 22 assists. The ball was whizzing around the perimeter the entire game.

Even with IU’s improvements on offense, Illinois was able to close to within nine with just longer than five minutes left in the game. However, IU buried Illinois after that point and stretched its lead back to double digits.

The victory stems the tide after the losing streak.

“It’s really important,” Blackmon said. “Every team we’re going to play from now on in the Big Ten is going to be great. Illinois was a great team. We just got to know that one game is never going to define. Just having a short memory and build on it.