IU combats winter weather

Campus Filler

It had not been a full week into 2017 when IU had its first big snowfall of this season.

Up until this point, it had been a mild winter. There were, of course, a handful of bitterly cold days, usually due to a high wind chill. However, with snow now in the winter mix, the University will have to increase its efforts to keep the campus clear enough for students, staff and faculty to continue daily activity.

According to IU online archives, the University has only been officially closed 12 times since 1908. Of these instances, eight of the closures were due to snowy weather and a ninth closure was due to a broken heating system.

IU’s Campus Site and Landscape Services Division is responsible for a variety of maintenance work on campus, snow removal included. Its team consists of 41 appointed service maintenance workers who take care of the Bloomington grounds.

During the winter season, however, as many as 80 full-time and part-time workers are devoted to snow removal. They are responsible for clearing the 21 miles of campus streets, 52 miles of sidewalks and steps, and 150 acres of parking lots. It can take as long as 12 hours to complete even just a preliminary removal.

Twelve hundred tons of salt are used every winter on this campus to combat snow and ice. Of course, salt is only one of the many materials necessary.

IU also uses bags of snow melt and a variety of equipment to clear away large amounts of snow. In 2014, the campus division began experimenting with brine, a combination of water and salt, with the intention of reducing the large amount of salt typically used.

With potentially more snow and ice on the way this winter season, IU advises students, staff and faculty to exercise caution in the face of inclement weather. The Protect IU website reminds readers to dress for cold temperatures and snow and keep up to date with current weather conditions, especially before leaving home.