Big Brothers Big Sisters names two IU students bigs of the year

The last few weeks of January signal the homestretch of the Big Brothers Big Sisters' National Mentoring Month celebration

The organization uses the first month of the year to promote and appreciate its student “bigs” that help execute the organization's mission.Big Brothers Big Sisters is a mentoring network that strives to support and empower youth who face obstacles.

Children enrolled in the program are assigned a big brother or big sister, an older volunteer who is a role model and support system for his or her “little,” who may not necessarily get the encouragement he or she needs elsewhere.

Every year during National Mentoring Month, Big Brothers Big Sisters gives an IU Big of the Year award to an IU student who has gone above and beyond their role as a mentor to their little, said Mark Voland, executive director of Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Indiana.

“This year we have two co-winners, two big sisters — both IU students,” Voland said. “They’ve been matched with their littles for two years and done so many good things.”

This year’s co-sisters are seniors Grace Carlson and Daniela Anthony. Both said they are honored to be receiving the title.

“Being recognized as co-big sister of the year is something I never expected, but it is pretty cool,” Carlson said.

The Big Brothers Big Sisters' website states that emotional support is one of the many things a big can do for his or her little. Carlson said she has seen significant development in her little, Jessie, during their two years together.

“I definitely have seen Jessie’s confidence grow,” Carlson said. “When I was first matched with Jessie, she was pretty shy and now she is one of the most talkative and funny kids I know.”

Anthony said she has seen similar growth with her little, Austin.

“My favorite thing about being involved in BBBS is to see Austin grow and mature,” Anthony said. “He moved from one school to a new one, and he has really matured into a strong leader at his new school.”

Academic mentoring is another important influence in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. Anthony has worked with Austin in his elementary school setting, the big said.

“He also will tell any adult that will listen that he loves reading because he reads with me every week,” Anthony said.

February and March are equally important months for the organization because this is when its largest philanthropic event takes place: the "IU Bowl for Kid’s Sake" fundraiser.

All the money that is raised prior to and during the fundraiser goes toward continued matching of IU students with community kids in need. Children ages 8-18 are eligible to join the program as littles. Often times, they eventually graduate and become bigs later down the line, Voland said.

This year, the fundraising challenge has changed slightly to introduce a more competitive edge.

“We have a new twist. The Purdue BBBS student organization and the IU BBBS student organization have a fundraising challenge Jan. 30 to Feb. 5,” Voland said. “The school student group that raises the most money for the kids in their community receives a traveling trophy.”

So far, the IU bowl has raised more than $5,000 of its total $35,000 goal.