sports men's soccer

Thompson joins elite company with All-American award

spiums

IU senior midfielder Tanner Thompson continued to rack up conference and national honors following his senior season.

The most recent award came Friday when he was named a first-team All-American by the National Soccer Coaches Association of 
America.

Thompson is one of just eight IU men’s soccer players in history to have earned three All-America honors in one season, and the first since Pat Noonan in 2002. He earned first-team honors in 2014 and was named to the third-team by the NSCAA in 2015.

“Tanner had an outstanding career at IU and will go down as one of our all-time special midfielders,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said via a press release. “We are proud of his accomplishments and his excellence on and off the field. We are excited for Tanner’s next chapter as he begins his professional career.”

The 2016 season also saw Thompson earn first-team All-Big Ten, first-team All-Midwest from the NSCAA and Big Ten Midfielder of the Year honors. He is also a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy, the award given to the best player in college soccer.

Thompson scored eight goals and tallied three assists in his final season as a Hoosier. He also guided IU to the round of 16, the farthest the Hoosiers have advanced in Thompson’s four seasons in Bloomington.