COLUMN: Hoosier offensive woes ensure loss to Louisville

spiubb

INDIANAPOLIS -- The possession began at the 2:14 mark in the second half.

IU trailed by 14, thus one would expect a bit of urgency for the Hoosiers.

Nope.

Junior guard Josh Newkirk proceeded to dribble under the basket, through the paint and back to the 3-point arc. He found junior guard Robert Johnson standing in front of IU Coach Tom Crean.

Johnson dribbled and dribbled and dribbled eventually passing back to Newkirk.

“You hear the groans from these fans,” CBS play-by-play announcer Spero Dedes said.

“I don’t know what they’re waiting for here,” replied color analyst Bill Raftery.

With six seconds left on the play clock, a defensive gaffe by Louisville forward Deng Adel left IU freshman forward De’Ron Davis wide open next to the basket.

He jumped, clutching the ball with both hands, with an easy dunk as the only plausible scenario.

The ball clanked off of the back iron.

Davis missed.

This was one of many empty possessions for the Hoosiers, a microcosm of another poor showing on a national stage.

It’s not that the Hoosiers lost. Everyone loses at some point; both North Carolina and Duke took home an “L” today as well. It’s that the Hoosiers have seemingly regressed from their success early on in the season, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Poor shooting aside, IU’s major problem was their inability to create any cohesive movement with the ball.

You can blame Newkirk for his chaotic drives to the rim ending empty-handed. You can blame sophomore center Thomas Bryant for his inability to finish around the rim. Honestly, you can blame every player in some way, as it was that despicable of a game.

However, at some point you have to look at the coaching staff and their powerlessness when the 3-pointer isn’t falling.

We’ve seen this before, especially in recent years with Yogi Ferrell at point. The team often seemed to watch as one player would go into isolation.

What’s happening with the Hoosier offense is no longer an isolated incident. It’s a real problem.

Oftentimes running a five-out set or four on the perimeter with a big man triangulating post-ups, IU has the talent and ability to move well on offense.

Pass and cut. Give the ball away and set the screen.

Sometimes it seems as if the entire court has frozen except for the ball-handler. The other players are stagnant, watching and waiting for their turn to thaw.

What this further leads to is an inundation of turnovers. It’s easier for Louisville to double-team the ball when the threat of backdoor cuts and screens is minimal.

Over the past two disappointing losses, the offense has been the crux of the issue. As 2016 comes to a close, the Hoosiers must quickly regroup and get back to the fluid style that won them the Kansas and North Carolina games.

For those calling for Crean’s head with a large chunk of the season to go, please note that you sound like the Queen of Hearts, bloviating on your soapbox.

With wins over two top-three teams, IU still has their head above water. Early on last season, the Hoosiers had similar struggles finding their way. This isn’t an excuse, just the truth.

It’s not time to point fingers; it’s time to get back on track. Just getting into offensive sets earlier and moving without the ball will make this team dangerous once again.

At 10-4 overall and 0-1 in the Big Ten, the Hoosiers are not yet where they need to be, but they still have the potential to recover.

"Our guys had a tough day, but I have great belief that we'll recover from that," Crean said.

On to 2017.

gigottfri@indiana.edu

@gott31