GUEST COLUMN: What Veterans Day means to me

My grandfather served in the segregated Army units of World War II during a time when German prisoners of war were treated better than the African-American soldiers fighting for the United States.

My father was unable to attend integrated schools growing up as a result of the south being reluctant to implement the Supreme Court ruling from Brown v. Board of Education, but he still wanted to serve in Vietnam despite the discrimination he faced at home.

My brother served in Iraq and became a disabled veteran for his country. Two years after he returned, I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps reserves and eventually went on to active duty.

The idea of military service is deeply rooted in the fabric of my family. For me, Veterans Day is both a time to honor those that have sacrificed so much in service of this great nation and a time to acknowledge that we still have work to do to advance our national dialogue around commitment, service and living a life that advances causes greater than one’s self.

I joined the military in 2006 while in graduate school at a time when popular opinion had turned against the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many of my classmates asked me why I would enlist in a war where I could possibly perish in combat. I told them I was frustrated with seeing my peers who were extremely militaristic in their views on war, able-bodied, highly supportive of the troops and did not have family responsibilities such as a spouse or children, but would never consider serving in the military.

This was difficult for me to comprehend as they were passionate about America fighting terrorism and sending troops overseas but were not willing to put on a uniform to be in the fight. I knew I had to make a choice, and I chose to act. In early 2006, I went to Israel for a policy trip, and I saw Israel Defense Force soldiers serving their country. Once I returned from Israel, I immediately called the local Marine Corps recruiter.

The recruiter seemed surprised by my decision to join, stating, “You are a graduate student, but you want to enlist as a private first class? Are you sure?”

For me, this was a no-brainer, because I felt that I was needed and did not want to waste any time due to my insatiable desire to serve.

I began to recount the stories of service of the men in my family who went to war when it may not have been widely accepted. I shared with him how my brother was a disabled veteran battling post traumatic stress disorder and how my father would not wear his uniform in public during the 1960s due to worries of being harassed by protestors.

I shared stories of my grandfather’s return from war to find that he could not eat at public lunch counters or be served in certain stores due to the color of his skin.

Their experiences motivated me to be a part of something greater in order to be an agent of change in the United States. They fought for the constitutional ideals of freedom and equality so I could have the opportunities to go to integrated schools, wear my uniform in public without fear of retribution and advocate for adequate health coverage for veterans returning home.

Their commitment forced me to acknowledge the work that still needs to be done in the United States of America. These experiences compelled me to deviate from the path taken by the majority of my peers who were not willing to serve. Once I enlisted, I saw others who had similar stories who dared to be different at a time when it was not convenient, because service is never convenient.

Veterans Day is about acknowledging those who sacrificed for the greater good, and thanking them for their service is what Veterans Day means to me.