crime & courts

Sex trafficking and exploitation is here in Indiana

Region filler image

Throughout the state and nation, citizens have been victims of exploitation and sexual trafficking. However, many people are unaware of the problem, said Deborah Getz, an assistant clinical professor in the IU School of Public Health.

“It’s right under our noses,” Getz said. She said she is working to increase awareness of trafficking and exploitation throughout Indiana.

By September 2016, more than 140 victims of sexual trafficking have been identified in Indiana alone, according to statistics provided by the Indiana Trafficking Victims Assistance Program. While those victims were all 21 years old or older, the fact there were so many indicates a growing problem in the United States, Getz said.

“We can’t let this happen anymore,” Getz said. “We need to talk about it.”

Since 2007, more than 300 cases of trafficking and exploitation have occurred in Indiana. As many as 504 possible victims have been reported in those 
cases.

To foster discussion and encourage a greater understanding of trafficking and exploitation, Getz said she was in the process of forming a new organization on campus called Human Trafficking Education Ambassadors. Getz said HTEA will go to other universities and colleges around Indiana and provide presentations and other educational information. The goal is to raise awareness of just how close-to-home sex trafficking and exploitation are for U.S. residents.

When most people think of trafficking, they think of international trafficking, Getz said.

International trafficking occurs throughout the world, and residents of other countries pass through the U.S. during the process.

On the other hand, domestic trafficking occurs in the U.S. in individual states and across some state borders. Getz said there are plenty of groups raising awareness of international trafficking, but none deal with the domestic type of trafficking and 
exploitation.

“It’s all around us,” Getz said. “Parents are selling their kids.”

In October the issue of exploitation and trafficking hit home for many when residents found out a Fairview Elementary bus driver, Timothy Poteat, was facing child pornography charges and may even face charges for producing child pornography.

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said while the investigation is still active, if production charges are found to be true, there is a high probability the case will go to the federal level and Poteat will face new charges. Kellams said pornography production charges are taken very seriously by federal courts and can result in longer criminal sentences.

“That’s the never-getting-out-of-prison type of things,” Kellams said. Getz also said there may need to be stricter background checks and requirements for youth workers and those who, like Poteat, have regular access to children, who can be the ones most easily abused.

“My passion is protecting children,” Getz said. “It takes more to be a good youth worker than a driver’s license and a background check.” Getz said she hoped HTEA would actively work to empower victims and promote advocacy for them across Indiana and particularly among students. Students have always been willing to promote causes they believe in, Getz said.

“I have so much faith in students,” Getz said.

The other thing Getz said she hoped to change is the culture and the idea that systems and institutions need to be protected instead of the victim. Getz said sometimes there is a tendency to say what is happening is just the world today, but she cannot say that. She said she must do what she can to help the victims and the people involved. “We’ve got to protect kids, not systems,” Getz said.