IU's defense key in win over Hope College

Forward Juwan Morgan dribbles the ball down the court against Hope College. The Hoosiers defeated the Flying Dutchmen 98-65 in their home opening exhibition game.

OG Anunoby worked on his game long before the first fans arrived.

After a strong freshman campaign, the sophomore forward was shooting 3-pointers before the first game of the season.

In the first exhibition game of the year, Anunoby lived up to the offseason hype and helped IU defeat Hope College, 98-65, on Tuesday.

The sophomore forward finished the game with 16 points, but the biggest surprise came from the fact he hit four of his seven 3-point attempts.

The 3-point shot was something Anunoby worked tirelessly to add to his game this offseason.

“OG spends as much time in the gym as anybody we’ve had here at his age,” IU Coach Tom Crean said. “If that continues to keep up, he will be in a really good place.”

Sophomore forward Juwan Morgan knew that Anunoby’s shooting would help IU’s offense open up.

“I think it’s been a real big focus,” Morgan said. “Just adding another element to his game, like tonight he was on fire. As soon as he got out there, he was just knocking down shots. When he knocks down shots, it open things up for Thomas (Bryant).”

It wasn’t just on the offensive end where Anunoby shone — he continued his development on the defensive end.

IU’s defense was in mid-season form as the Hoosiers held the Flying Dutchmen to 31-percent shooting. The Hoosiers’ length frustrated the Dutchmen all night long, finishing with six blocks by game’s end.

However, Morgan said he thought the defense could be even better.

“Not nearly what it needs to be,” Morgan said. “We had some lapses just as far as switch game and communication on that end. Especially in the first half, when we came out, they hit some pretty easy baskets just because of a lackadaisical mindset on our part.”

With the slue of offseason injuries, IU hasn’t had all of its players back practicing for that long.

Crean said it affected the defense as everyone was working to gain comfort playing with each other on the defensive end 
against Hope.

“The intensity definitely picked up as we got more comfortable with that,” Crean said. “But, I thought our intent was very good from the beginning, which is what you want.”

The Hoosiers’ defense buoyed the team in the first half as IU held Hope to 25-percent shooing.

It wasn’t all smooth sailing for the Hoosiers offense, however, as the Flying Dutchmen remained close the entire first half.

Hope capitalized on IU’s 18 turnovers, but a 20-5 IU run helped provide some separation and at halftime the Hoosiers 
led 43-29.

Hope remained in the game after half time, but once IU’s defense settled back in the Hoosiers were able to crack the game back open.

The defense led to offense, as the Hoosiers were extremely efficient in the second half, shooting 66.67-percent and hitting six of 10 3-point attempts.

Crean was able to get his freshmen significant action in the first game of the their careers, and freshman guard Devonte Green had an impressive night with 17 points off the bench. The Hoosiers finish off their slate of exhibition games Saturday against Bellarmine.

“We just got to take it game-by-game really,” junior guard James Blackmon Jr. said. “Pick up on things from this game that we can get better and follow it up into Saturday.”