COLUMN: Don't be cynical about IUDM

The week before IU Dance Marathon is a chance to differentiate from people.

There are people that are so excited for the weekend to occur, and then there are people that are so excited for the week to be over so they don’t have to keep hearing about IUDM, but I think that’s the wrong attitude to have.

People are proud to be part of IUDM. They are dedicated and see it as something that they can do to make the world better. I, for one, think that it is high time that some people stop cynically tearing these people and this organization down.

First, one complaint about IUDM that seems to be overarching is the fact that they are everywhere.

You can’t walk down Kirkwood without seeing people soliciting donations, and everyone’s Facebook feed come October is filled with donation posts. But is that a bad thing? I think one of the best qualities that IUDM has is its ability to market itself so well. IUDM has inspired so many people, especially newcomers, to become invested in the organization. While it may be irritating to see twelve donation posts one after another, I would rather see that than not see anyone care about a cause.

I don’t do IUDM, but I admire all the people who work day after day to throw such a great event. Philanthropy is great, and the fact that people take an interest in it is amazing. I think that it was great that IUDM is so active in recruiting freshmen.

Why do we knock down people who are trying to do good thing? Say what you will about IUDM, but the people who do it, who collect thousands of dollars for the cause, are trying to do as much as they can to help a cause that they love. I can’t be cynical about that, and I won’t. IUDM does as much good as any organization can.

Philanthropy is a great thing. The people who volunteer their time and energy are some of the most awe-insprining people that I can believe in. Be annoyed at the Facebook posts and walk in the other direction when you see canners, but please don’t discount the cause. Love it or hate it, IUDM gives more to people than complaining about IUDM does. You don’t have to do it, but please don’t mock those who do it.