student life

Art from the Margins features student art, performances

Campus filler image

Celine Oberholzer, an IU student, creates and draws mandalas, or circles with intricate designs throughout the center. Oberholzer uses both Sharpies and stamps from her grandfather’s stamp collection to detail and color the complex circles.

“Mandalas are called drawing from the light within, transcending light or dark,” Oberholzer said. “They are so circular. They indicate a sense of inclusion but are also really universal, therapeutic and meditative.”

Oberholzer said her mandalas and other artwork facilitate conversations and bring awareness to things people usually are uncomfortable talking about.

Oberholzer and other artists are contributing their artwork to Art from the Margins, an art show and gallery organized by the Feminist Student Association.

The artwork will be featured in the Indiana Memorial Union Gallery near Starbucks for two weeks. In addition to Oberholzer’s mandalas, the gallery will include visual artwork, paintings and photos.

One piece details skin tone, race and the lack of makeup options for people of color.

FSA also organized an event 6:30 p.m. Saturday night that will feature live performances from rappers, singers, poets and others to go along with the gallery.

“Identity is expressed in an open way throughout the artwork,” IU student and event organizer Sophia Muston said. “There’s a lot of work about specific type of experiences.”

Art from the Margins is an annual FSA event. However, in years past, it has taken place at the Bishop and other locations off campus.

This is Muston’s first year organizing Art from the Margins, and she said she is excited to be putting it together. Muston said this year, they wanted to make it as accessible as possible for students. She and the FSA decided to move the location to IMU where it will be very visible to students.

FSA is also working with the Black Student Union. They thought about having a Black Lives Matter theme for the event, but Muston said it would have been too challenging to find artwork from students that spoke specifically to that topic.

“We wanted to take a stand and celebrate art by all people,” Muston said.

Oberholzer said her artwork and mandalas include these ideas of unity.

“I like to leave it open to interpretation,” she said about her art’s themes. “Everyone sees different things, like symmetry evokes a sense of balance and being very centered, which I like.”

She, too, sees the benefit in having an event like this that offers diverse opinion and ideas.

“I am a feminist a hundred percent,” Oberholzer said. “I honestly just think it’s cool to have events that represents women and marginalized communities. It makes it a more inclusive campus.”