crime & courts

Voter fraud investigation spans 56 counties

Region filler image

Indiana State Police announced Friday that an investigation of voter fraud in seven counties now includes 56 of Indiana’s 92 counties. Monroe County is included in the list of counties under investigation.

ISP began investigating 10 instances of voter fraud in late August in Hendricks and Marion counties, then extended the investigation Oct. 4 to include seven more counties. Police delivered a search warrant to the Indiana Voter Registration Project’s downtown Indianapolis office on Oct. 3 as part of the investigation and collected copies of registrations forms as evidence.

Monroe County elections supervisor Laura Dahncke urged people to take caution with their registration information.

“I wouldn’t recommend using a third party to register to vote,” Dahncke said.

A spokeswoman said Tuesday the IVRP had done nothing to merit allegations of voter fraud. She added that any inconsistencies between voter registration forms and voters was due to a small number of forms being filled out incorrectly. ISP defines voter fraud as incorrect information on registration forms, such as false names, addresses or dates of birth or a combination of correct names, dates of birth and addresses that are assigned to the wrong voter.

ISP said in a press release it is possible hundreds of voters could find themselves disenfranchised on Election Day. Normally, ISP said it would not make regular public updates about ongoing investigations, but since the Oct. 11 deadline to register to vote is approaching, the updates have been continual.

The official registration site for Indiana Voters is https://indianavoters.in.gov/. Monroe County voters can reach the county’s election office at 812-349-2612 or via email at questions@morneocountyelections.com.

Lyndsay Jones