weekend

Uncovering Bloomington: Opie Taylor's

Last weekend I fell madly, deeply in love.

My love came from an unlikely source, a chance meeting in a random location.

You see, what I fell in love with can never let me down, leave me with regret or break my heart.

What I fell in love with will always stay true.

I admit, I fell in love with Opie Taylor’s mozzarella sticks.

My mom came to visit me, and as I am a senior, she has developed a Bloomington bucket list of her own. She has always wanted to go to Opie Taylor’s — located on North Walnut Street, right on the square — because of a character named Opie Taylor from “The Andy Griffith Show.”

So, finally, we went. And I am slightly thankful this is the first time while at IU because I would have gained a freshman 15, sophomore 15 and junior 15 eating these mozzarella sticks.

But counting calories isn’t fun, and sometimes we have to splurge.

So don’t be a fool and go to Opie Taylor’s sooner rather than later so you can try these delicious sticks.

They are deep fried with a dark, golden batter. The batter almost has a beer-batter taste to it, but it has a soft crunch.

At about 1 inch thick, there is enough melted mozzarella for anyone’s cheese fantasies to be met, and the way the ranch compliments the mozzarella stick can’t be beat.

The rest of the menu is fantastic, too. I recommend the wraps during lunchtime and the buffalo chips as a side.

And if you love sweet tea, you won’t want to miss Opie Taylor’s, either.

It’s just an all-around consistent, quality restaurant. Whenever you go, you know the food will be great and full of flavor.

Next time your family is in town or you just need a place to go with some friends, stop by Opie Taylor’s. This is truly a gem of Bloomington.