weekend

Two Door Cinema Club’s new album too niche for modern audience

With the tragic deaths of David Bowie and Prince earlier this year, a plethora of underground and mainstream artists have done what they can to commemorate and honor the legacies of these artists.

Some of these, like Lady Gaga’s Bowie medley at the Grammy’s or Muse’s live cover of Prince’s “Sign o’ the Times,” were spectacular. Others, like Madonna’s “Rebel Rebel” live cover, fall flat.

Irish indie-rock band Two Door Cinema Club has found itself in the latter category.

Singer Alex Trimble cited Bowie and Prince as the biggest influences on their latest record “Gameshow.”

However, Two Door Cinema Club found itself so wrapped up in creating this massive homage to these two titans of music that the finished product sounds more like a playlist of demo tracks than a complete album.

These alleged influences also sound less like homages and more like attempts by the band to become the weaker Irish equivalent to Daft Punk. Trimble’s falsetto and Kevin Baird’s overwhelming synthesizers makes this sound like a bland rehash of “Random Access Memories.”

Along with that, this album is brimming with a 1970s disco and synthpop sound. Morrissey and Duran Duran seem to be more probable influencers than Bowie and Prince, especially on tracks like “Bad Decisions” and “Fever.”

Fortunately, there is at least some variety in genre on this record, though it’s nothing we asked for or wanted.

The title track is definitely hard rock, while “Invincible” sounds like some 1980s power ballad in the tradition of Night Ranger’s “Sister Christian” or Warrant’s “Heaven.”

Who in the world tries to copy either of those bands and thinks they’re going to produce a great song?

Of course, Two Door Cinema Club is not the only current pop group that has tried using a vintage sound to appeal to a wider audience. Artists like Jack White, Lana Del Rey and Flaming Lips have made careers through this practice.

The difference between them and this band, however, is that the former know how to balance a new sound with a retro sound.

Two Door Cinema Club by no means created any terrible songs on this record.

Most of the tracks may even work well in a playlist with other music from the band, but as a whole album, its lack of originality, passion and dynamics doesn’t warrant it an immediate listen.

afaulds@indiana.edu

@a_faulds9615