politics

Senate candidate garners youth support at IU

cayoung

In 2010, Todd Young won his seat in the United States House of Representatives by two percentage points, a margin he attributes to the votes of the College Republicans at IU.

He returned to campus Monday night to rally the group’s support for his current race in the Senate. Currently, Young is just one point behind his opponent, Democrat Evan Bayh. Young said he, unlike Bayh, does not have a well-known family name or large net-worth to push his 
campaign.

“I don’t benefit from the many advantages of people who often run for offices, but I do benefit from all of you,” Young told the group.

College Republicans at IU president Brian Gamache said Young has visited IU every year since his first election because he believes the organization helped him win.

Gamache, who is also the chairman of the Indiana Federation of College Republicans, worked for Young beginning in the fall of 2014. Although he’s not officially affiliated with the campaign currently, he does coordinate with them as part of College Republicans.

“He’s really galvanized youth support,” Gamache said.

Gamache said he supports Young because he believes the Republican candidate is more honest than Bayh. In addition, Gamache said he likes Young’s policies on funding higher education and promoting social partnerships.

Taken after a concept Gamache said first developed in Britain, Young supports Income Sharing Agreements. With these, a student works with a group of investors who earn money through investments to remove federal loans from the process. Then the student pays back a percentage of his or her income after graduating.

Purdue University has this system, called “Bet on a Boiler,” in place already. As senator, Young plans to bring this idea to a larger audience.

With four children, Young said supporting education for better jobs and careers is a big motivator as he runs for office. He said he believes he and his wife want for their children the same things all Americans want.

“It’s not political, it’s not ideological,” Young said. “It’s probably what brings many of you here.”

Freshman Reagan White was brought in by Young long before she heard him speak to the College Republicans.

Last year, she served as an intern for his campaign where she phone-banked, walked door-to-door and handled social media. Before that, she founded a Republican group at her Bloomington High School and would also attend the IU chapter’s meetings.

White said she believes Young is the best candidate running for the Indiana Senate seat.

“He’s a really personable guy,” White said. “He’s a family guy, which I love.”

Before ending his speech, Young once again rallied for the support of the College Republicans. If his campaign loses, the Republicans are sure to lose control of the Senate, he said.

“Your families are on the ballot,” Young said. “Your values are on the ballot. Your rights are on the ballot.”