politics

Pence returns to Indiana on behalf of Holcomb campaign

Supporters for Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb's bid for governor cheer and wave signs during a campaign event in Jeffersonville, Indiana on Sunday night.

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. — Gov. Mike Pence had a feeling as he walked on stage at an Eric Holcomb rally. After traveling all over the country campaigning to be vice president, he was back in the state he grew up in and currently governs.

“It’s great to be home again,” 
he said.

Pence and other Republican Party candidates appeared at the rally in support of gubernatorial candidate Holcomb. Holcomb currently serves as lieutenant governor under Pence and is running alongside state auditor Suzanne Crouch.

“We need new Republican leadership on every level,” Pence said. “We’ve got to elect Eric Holcomb as the 51st governor of the state of 
Indiana.”

Holcomb will be ready for the job on day one, Pence said.

Pence said he knows this because he has known Holcomb for years. Both attended Hanover College. Pence said he knew as soon as he met him that Holcomb was somebody special.

Trey Hollingsworth, Republican candidate for the 9th District of Indiana, said Holcomb and presidential candidate Donald Trump are 
committed to getting the economy going again by reducing 
regulation.

Hollingsworth said Holcomb is determined to return Indiana and the United States to its former glory by going back to the nation’s roots and the principles established by the founding fathers.

Under Holcomb’s $1 billion economic plan, the state will invest in start-ups, high-growth companies, co-working spaces, and university and high school entrepreneurial partnerships.

The proposed plan will also attempt to work to incentivize investment into Indiana businesses from out-of-state investors by making the venture capital investment tax credit transferable.

Jeff Cardwell, chairman of the Indiana Republican Party said that after eight years of Democratic control in the White House, the U.S. needs a president and a vice president who support clean coal, the sanctity of life and believe in the rights within the Second Amendment.

“American energy will drive an American comeback,” Pence said. “Indiana is a proud coal state.”

Pence said the number of Americans on food stamps and living below the poverty has increased under the Obama administration. However, the census reported 43.1 million people were in poverty — 3.5 million fewer than in 2014.

By reducing regulation and cutting taxes on businesses, Pence said the United States will become the number one manufacturing global powerhouse again.

Holcomb’s education plan includes pre-k options for children with the most need in Indiana and the establishment of vocational programs at all Indiana high schools.

Cardwell encouraged the crowd to continue to support the party by volunteering and through donations and prayer.

Pence said it’s time to talk to neighbors and friends about why the country needs Trump and Holcomb.

“Let’s not rest until we make Donald Trump the president of the United States and Eric Holcomb the governor of Indiana,” Pence said.