weekend

Outsider's Point of View: The One About Halloween

Before I start, I would like to write some words about myself.

I am a freshman, and I wasn’t born in the United States.

I am from a Third World country that people think is all about samba, soccer and naked women laying on beaches. I am from a place where there is a ton of violence and poor people living in the mountains because they had to clean up the cities for the rich, but I am also from a country that loves its own culture and language and knows how to take it easy once in awhile.

Since I moved here in late July, I’ve had a hard time. Don’t get me wrong, I always dreamed about studying in the U.S. and living in a country where the buses have a schedule and public high schools are good.

But, man, cultural differences are harsh.

Back home — if you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m from Brazil — it is completely different.

With this column I want to explore these differences and give my readers the outsider’s point of view.

Let’s start with Halloween.

Halloween is one of the weirdest cultural fests I’ve ever seen.

It’s the one day of the year on which people set themselves free and are able to be what they truly want to be, even if that is a clown, a politician or Kylie Jenner.

Nearly every culture in the world has a time of the year to celebrate and pray for their loved ones who have passed away. In Brazil we have a day called Dia de Finados. It is not as pretty as the Mexican Día de Los Muertos or as much of a money spender as the American Halloween, but it has its own spiritual involvement.

What I do find intriguing about Halloween is the different forms it can take on. With that I mean that anyone of any age who wants to engage can engage in their own way and have a blast.

Children are able to go trick-or-treating and ask their neighbors for candy. Teenagers go to parties dressed up in costumes and set themselves free for a night. Adults can hang out in the comfort of their homes and wait for trick-or-treaters without forgetting the apple cider.

I have an enormous sweet tooth, so the candy part of Halloween is by far my favorite.

Don’t you just adore those huge candy bags they sell at Kroger, with every sort of lollipop, sweet and Hershey chocolate?

My point is after all different cultures have different ways of dealing with certain aspects of existence, like death. Even if Americans don’t usually think of Halloween as a spiritual celebration, it kind of is.

It is a bit sad to say that these modern spiritual celebrations are often filled with consumerism, but that is another aspect of American society. It is simply intertwined with cultural celebrations. If you don’t believe me, take a look at Christmas or Valentine’s Day.

What I mostly like about being an international student is that I can live in this new country and be part of some grand cultural phenomenon.

It’s important to learn how to deal with a culture that is different than yours. It’s called cultural exchange.

Ever heard of it?