crime & courts

IU student reports attempted rape

A female IU student was held at gunpoint by an unknown male at approximately 3 p.m. Thursday as he threatened to rape her at her apartment complex on Clarizz Boulevard.

The investigation is still 
ongoing.

The student offered to pay him to not rape her, and the suspect agreed and left after an undisclosed amount of cash was given to him by the female student.

The victim, an international student at IU, said she was in her bedroom and she had come home in between classes that day. She told police that she heard her front door open and then her bedroom door as well.

When she looked up, the suspect was standing over her with a silver, semi-automatic gun with a black grip.

The suspect was described as a tall and thin black male wearing dark pants and a jacket, and he was using a scarf or bandanna to cover his face.

The victim said he reached down, and as he grabbed her pants, she told him that she would pay him if he would not rape her.

The suspect agreed, and they both went out to the living room and she paid him. Then the male suspect left the apartment.

The female’s roommate left her room while the victim was searching for money to pay the suspect with and saw the end of the exchange, Bloomington Police Lt. Brad Seifers said.

The report was delayed until after 4 p.m. because the victim was unaware of what to do afterwards, Seifers said.

After the victim spoke to the apartment office, she called the police and reported the crime.

BPD arrived and investigated but were unable to find any sign of the suspect based on the 
description.