sports field hockey

IU field hockey hopes to find success in Michigan this weekend

IU sophomore forward Maddie Latino tries to get around a Northwestern defender in the game on Oct. 27 at IU Field Hockey Complex. Despite being forced to use a right-handed stick, left-handed Latino has helped the Hoosiers by dominating the left side of the field.

IU is ready, senior defender Kate Barber said.

IU faces Michigan State and No. 12 Michigan on the road this weekend after upsetting No. 6 Northwestern last Friday at the IU Field Hockey Complex, and Barber said the team is confident it can keep the positive momentum going.

“I think the team’s confidence is really high right now,” IU Coach Amanda Janney said. “I think they can really see the difference in our play from August until now and just know that we are improving in so many aspects of our game every time we step on the field, and it’s exciting to think where we will be at the end of October.”

The Hoosiers still remember their close finishes against the two teams last season. IU lost 2-1 against Michigan and 3-2 in overtime against Michigan State.

IU, however, will not have to travel twice to Michigan as they did last season and know they will have more time to settle and relax to decide on a game plan.

“I think just like being there will kind of sit better with us,” Barber said. “Although we do have to travel this weekend, I think that being in Michigan and playing both games on one weekend will be very beneficial for us.”

Last season Barber and junior Maddie Latino scored against the Wolverines and the Spartans, respectively. Both are playing well for the Hoosiers at the moment and will likely start both contests.

“I think we are ready to see Kate get back on the boards,” Janney said. “I think Maddie really had some big strides this season and is playing better as a forward. She is really difficult to defend, she has some great moves. I expect both to have great games.”

It’s not just IU’s offensive line that’s entering the weekend with positive momentum. Sophomore goalie Noëlle Rother received the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Week award this week after she registered 11 and eight saves against Northwestern and Boston College, respectively.

“She has made some incredible saves for us,” Janney said. “There has been a couple shots where I thought for sure the ball was going in, but she makes huge dives out of nowhere to make the saves.”

Janney said IU usually scouts an opponent’s best players to help Rother shut down their offense, but this weekend that’ll be a tougher job because both teams have multiple goal scorers.

“We know a couple of their strong points that we are going to try to shut down,” Janney said. “But I think is one of those games that you do not have to necessarily worry about individual opponents, but you just got to go out there and play your best.”

IU takes on Michigan at 7 p.m. Friday in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and Michigan State at 1 p.m. Sunday in East Lansing, Michigan.