opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: Gingrich-Kelly exchange highlights GOP's losing strategy

20110720 Newt Gingrich

On Oct. 25, conservative firebrand and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich was a guest on Fox News’ “The Kelly File” last week to discuss the Donald Trump campaign.

Considering Fox News’ status as the most prominent conservative voice in media, some may be surprised to see Gingrich engage in a pouty, accusatory tirade against Megyn Kelly, the show’s host and a rising star in journalism.

During the exchange, Kelly, who became a household name after her aggressive questioning of Trump during an August 2015 Republican primary debate, referenced Trump’s comments condoning sexual assault. As a hardline Trump ally, Gingrich instantly grew perturbed. He pointed to a lack of coverage on Bill Clinton’s sexual indiscretions and Hillary Clinton’s paid speeches to a bank in Brazil as proof that Kelly and her collegues are “fascinated by sex” and uninterested with providing substantive 
content.

This awkward exchange is strange on many levels.

First, it highlights the changing landscape of the two-party system. As stated, Fox News and Gingrich are conservative icons, and the clash between the two accentuates the fractures in the fabric of the Republican party.

To an extent, the two parties represent two starkly distinct types of conservatives. Gingrich, as a Trump supporter, represents the old guard, while Kelly, who is known by many for her lack of alignment with the GOP nominee, represents younger, more moderate individuals that are turned off by the likes of Bill O’Reilly and other traditional conservative talking heads.

The exchange further proves Gingrich — and the faction of the party he represents — is out of touch. Members of both parties tend to agree with Kelly that stories like Trump’s “Access Hollywood” tape and accusations of sexual assault are absolutely worthy of coverage.

To Gingrich’s point, Trump is not a convicted sexual predator, and maybe the media ought not to treat him as if he is. Putting the scores of accusers who have corroborated each other’s stories and audio recordings in which Trump literally incriminates himself aside, Gingrich believes the focus should be on decades-old episodes involving not the Democratic nominee herself, but her husband, who is vying for the unofficial title of First Gentleman. Which is, of course, totally reasonable.

In all seriousness, the speeches referred to by Gingrich are worthy of more scrutinous coverage, but the absurdity of the rest of his narrative destroys any credibility he had to develop a reasonable argument.

This behavior shouldn’t surprise anyone. In August, Gingrich countered factual evidence that violent crime was at its lowest point in years by saying, “That’s your view.”

The former House Speaker certainly cares little for objective journalism.

On the other hand, many have posited about what episodes like these could signify for the future of Fox News. Following the exchange, some accused Kelly, whose contract with the network is set to expire next summer, of taking advantage of the forum to “audition” for more prominent roles with a major network like ABC News.

If Fox News is to extend its reach beyond its core following, comprised largely of older white Americans, it would be smart to try to retain Kelly. To appeal to younger voters, who tend to be more middle-of-the-road or liberal, Fox needs more Megyn Kellys and fewer Bill O’Reillys.

Regardless of how one feels about the individuals involved, the exchange was an embarrassing display of Gingrich and Co.’s blind adherence to a losing agenda that has the GOP in jeopardy of losing the presidency and both houses of Congress on Nov. 8.